OK another quick question from the newbie

gopens

well its ken again (it seems my name is coiming up often these days). i have another quck question....

so yesterday, i hade a guy come to my house to get measurments (sp) for my custom sump. he said its going to be awesome, so i am excited. now the question is the sump pump. what kind should i get. my tanks specs says that my tank is rated at 700 gph. is that enough? i hope it is because that is what i have to work with. my lfs is saying i should go with a 1000 gph pump. does that sound correct? also i bought a octopus skimmer. is that a decent name brand skimmer. again, the guy at the lfs said it was a pretty darn good skimmer. he said he uses them at his store and at his house on his personal fish tanks. well thanks again ya'll....

Hay buddy!!!! You can get a little bigger pump, and throudle it back. Are you going to have it exturnal, ? your sump will be drilled? How much room will you have for the pump, I have ony used one brand Pacific coast, A PCX-30 or 40 would work. I'm going to let others opininate, there are ones that are quieter. like ehiem

so than the 1000 gph would be fine? cool. why would i want the sump drilled? doesn't the overflow just run into the sump via a pipe than go through the sump and refun. than get pumped out out the other end. but i don't know if it is drilled or not. i am sure if the drilled is better, than that is what he is doing, but i am not sure...

Well it depends on what you are running as water movement in the tank...if you have a good closed loop or a couple of good power heards then you should be ok with a 700gph pump...I would use an external one, though. This is how I am setting up my next sump return...My current tank has a in sump pump and I hate it. To be honest, the more flow you can get through the sump the better as long as it is not an ocean current running through it :) . Octo skimmers are decent, they are awesome for the price...but with a skimmer question, you are going to get the people that swear, you only get a good skimmer if you give up one of your lungs for it. It will be awesome for the application you want to use it on.

I hope this helps.

so than the 1000 gph would be fine? cool. why would i want the sump drilled? doesn't the overflow just run into the sump via a pipe than go through the sump and refun. than get pumped out out the other end. but i don't know if it is drilled or not. i am sure if the drilled is better' date=' than that is what he is doing, but i am not sure...[/quote']

Drilling it would be for running an external pump instead of a "internal" or submerisble pump...What kind of pump do you have for the return, that will tells us if you need the sump drilled or not.

Please excuse Blain for his poor spelling and "made-up" words' date=' his banjo and "Billy-Bob" teeth get in the way of his typing!!!(just kiddin' Blain, ya know we love ya like a brother) [email']Ryan@advancedreef.com[/email]

DEE DEE DEEEEE!...lol

Ken, i would make sure that after a 4ft. head(lift from sump) that you are still getting about 1000 gallon/hr flow.....

Please excuse Blain for his poor spelling and "made-up" words' date=' his banjo and "Billy-Bob" teeth get in the way of his typing!!!(just kiddin' Blain, ya know we love ya like a brother) [email']Ryan@advancedreef.com[/email]

Yea, there was something getting in the way of my typing, it was thinkin about it being Friday night(naughty) (naughty) (naughty) (naughty) (naughty) (naughty)