Montipora setosa

impur

Lets see your pics. I don't understand this coral. Every single pic i see looks like this

Setosa1.jpg

thumb_ORA04.jpg

But every single time i see it in real life it is an encrusting coral with small bumpy nodules and absolutely no branching.

So what gives?

Here is a bad pic of mine when i 1st got it from Bob. Its almost doubled in size since but its all encrusting no branches.

fa33034.jpg

I don't think so i've never seen it in another color than orange. That looks like a tri color valida to me.

ok I"m very sorry to hi jack your thread but ........ does it???? that would be awesome as I got a REALLY nice deal. Its only been in the tank for about a month now and when I got it, it was perfectly smooth and didn't start growing branches till I got it into my tank

we'll see if the color keeps coming out. I just (about 3 weeks ago) switched my bulbs from the cheap crappy yellow piece of f***ing junk ebay bulbs to sps 14k (not the highest par but spectrum is phenominal. I may have given them a little shock with the change so that could be hampering the speed in which the coral colors up. (ebay bulbs turned everything brown and gave me the cyano outbreak of the century)

is this setosa. I got it from bob, it was very bleached and brown (he got it that way) and we didn't know what it is and I still don't know. It's really starting to turn a nice green with pinkish influence if that makes sense.

101_0224.jpg

That is a acro of some sort I suspect tri-color or Valida as mentioned

Miles' date=' that coral is the montipora orenji, I was given the wrong name when I bought it here in town. I have a frag of the setose here now with your name on it. I pm'd you with the details. My apologies.[/quote']

wait you said my,what people are saying is tricolor valida, was going to be a brownish "something" You gave me the wrong info. I want a setosa too. jk jk jk(laugh)

Miles' date=' that coral is the montipora orenji, I was given the wrong name when I bought it here in town. I have a frag of the setose here now with your name on it. I pm'd you with the details. My apologies.[/quote']

Thanks Bob i replied. Not looking for freebies just make me a good deal ;) This orenji monti is still really sweet. I like how the polyps spacing is so erratic. And the white tips on the polyps are cool too.

Well at least that clears it up. Whew i really thought i was going crazy or something (laugh)

Nice colony Jody that thing is sweet!

Thanks Bob i replied. Not looking for freebies just make me a good deal ;) This orenji monti is still really sweet. I like how the polyps spacing is so erratic. And the white tips on the polyps are cool too.

!

Hey Miles - I have a piece of that orenji as well and it's growth pattern is very similar to yours. Perhaps a few more nodules but pretty darn similar. It seems like it is a little more intense orange but that could just be the light and/or pic. Very cool coral as you mentioned!

Daniel - you scored on that piece from Bob there buddy! Nice (clap)