Help Setting up kalkwasser reactor!!!!!

CCCP

Precision Marine Kalkreactor

I am using Precision Marine Kalkreactor . the methods below was the one that my bother gave me but he knows little about saltwater aquarium , because he has freshwater, so i'm looking for someone with more experience.

Method #1 In addition to your Precision Marine Kalkreactor, you will need a dosing pump or feed method, and a timer (preferably digital). Dosing pumps that can be set for a drip rate to match your evaporation work quite well.

Water Feed Method #2 The other method is to gravity feed the reactor with a container of r.o. water located above the kalkreactor and reservoir. You will need to use a float valve in your reservoir. Simply connect the 1/4” polyethylene tubing from the r.o. container to the kalkreactor, then to the float valve. As water evaporates from your system, the float valve will maintain a constant water level in your reservoir using the r.o. water through your kalkreactor. ~

post-204-141867734171_thumb.jpg

#2 is the better option for feeding the reactor. Do you have a top off system in place? I am using both a kalk reactor and calcium reactor. My kalk reactor is fed via my auto top off system that consists of a 40g reservior in my garage, Liter meter III and kalk reactor. All my top off water goes through the kalk reactor.

Depending on how much space you have where and how much you are willing to invest in a top off system. You can go extremely cheap, or over the top.

From all that I have read(and that is a lot), in large SPS dominated tanks, it is almost neccesary to run both. My goal is to not have to dose anymore. Now this is all from what has been read as I have not actualy put any SPS in my 240g yet. I am thinking initialy that I will just run the kalk reactor and see how that does.

I used to replace all my evap. water with kalkwasser through the good old drip method. It grew very tiring mixing bucket after bucket but it was cheap and kept my ph up as well. As my stocking levels grew I had trouble keeping my alk up and turned to dosing vinegar along with kalk. That worked for a while but in my opinion if you don't keep up with religious water changes you run into trouble with the bacteria populations that vinegar feeds.

My new tank uses both a calcium reactor and a kalk reactor. The kalk reactor processes all makeup water and is fed with a liter meter III drawing RO/DI water from a 55 gallon drum in the garage. It's the best money I've spent. But you're right... it wasn't cheap...all together the total was around a grand. (both reactors, co2, lmIII, 55 gal drum, etc.)

The two techniques really run hand in hand and compliment each other countering the negative effects each possess. You can have trouble with high ph using just kalkwasser and low ph using just a calcium reactor but combined they cancel out. My PH is solid at 8.3 and I never adjust it.

So what exactly do i need to set up my kalkwasser, i only have the kalkwasser reactor that i purchesed 2 days ago, what alse do i need to set it up, right now i'm rinig just calcium reactor what do i need to set it up, wires' and stuff like that, can anyway make the list for me to go shopping, maybe take a picture of his own set up post it here. that would help alot.

The reservior goes between the RO unit and the reactor. You will also need some sort of pump to get it form the reservior to the sump. There are a lot of ways of acomplishing this, but my personal prefference is the Liter Meter III. A bit pricy, but I can say that it is one of the best purchases I have made.

An aqualifter works great for this application. And at 10 bucks you can't beat the price. Using a floatswitch to trigger when it doses, you can have it up and running for around 20 bucks total.

I was dosing kalk 24/7 with a peristaltic pump with great results. The tubing got brittle and cracked recently and i just haven't replaced it yet. But on my next tank i plan to incorporate a kalk reactor. I will use the aqualifter pump to dose it. I plan to use kalk for all topoff water.