Home theater

Frank

Frank, I am into the home theatre scene as well....I just upgraded my reciever (Yamaha) and run an InFocus Hi-def projector (DLP). I have aperion speakers (5.1 for now) and a panasonic blu-ray....etc etc. I had an installer come out and run all the lines for me and an electrician buddy run a 20 amp circuit to the ceiling for the projector and to my rack for all my components. Fun stuff!

Frank' date=' I am into the home theatre scene as well....I just upgraded my reciever (Yamaha) and run an InFocus Hi-def projector (DLP). I have aperion speakers (5.1 for now) and a panasonic blu-ray....etc etc. I had an installer come out and run all the lines for me and an electrician buddy run a 20 amp circuit to the ceiling for the projector and to my rack for all my components. Fun stuff![/quote']

That sounds like a sweet set up.

I'm sort of into it. I have a projector set up with surround sound....no where near professional sound but it does the job.

I need to up date my reciver to a HDMI 7.1 right now it is an older Harmon kardon receiver but is 7.1 I run all Athena speakers and and a REL center and Martin and Logan sub with rotel amps was going to get a new TV we have a 65 DLP Mitsubishi but want to look at the new LED's.. I run the ps3 for the blue ray.

Does this qualify?

Panasonic 50" Plasma (Full 1080P resolution, not 1080i). While it has 2 receivers I use it as a monitor only.

HTPC. My HTPC is a 2.4 GHz Dual Core with 4 Gigabytes of ram running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. It has approx 1 1/4 Terrabytes of hard drive storage (4 drives) and 5 TV Tuners (2 Anolog and 3 Digital). It also has a Blu-Ray player as well. Connection to the TV is via HDMI for video only. Note that I put the HTPC together to make sure there were no cheap components. (I build all of my own systems except Laptops and Netbooks)

My sound runs through a Yamaha 7.1 Receiver (optical connection) although I only run 6 speakers (5.1). If the production companies ever start producing 7.1 movies then I may add 2 more speakers but until then I can't see much benefit.

My collection of DVD's is in excess of 500 (Haven't checked lately for an exact number). For Blu-Ray I only have a few (When the Blu-Ray movie prices drop my collection will grow but I can't justify paying twice as much when the DVD picture is fairly decent already). At any given time I usually have 40 or 50 recorded shows to select from (Mostly prime time sitcoms that are automatically recorded) and about 30 DVD's recorded onto the hard drives.

The above is networked using both Wireless N and Gigabit Ethernet which allows me to select from any DVD or recording from my bedroom (Via a Mini ITX HTPC system with a 22" LCD and Creative Labs 5.1 speaker system), from my Laptop (Toshiba Qosmio), or from any of the other PCs (4 others if I recall right) in the house. (Or even wireless from my Rock Crawler in the garage using a 10" touchscreen once I get the Mini ITX CarPC installed into it)

I would say yes. I like the streaming of the video. That is one of the cool things on the Xbox and PS3 is you can make them into a media center. The only thing is to me you lose the audio like with true HD (blu ray only) I do believe this is in 7.1 this is why I want to get a new receiver thinking of getting a processor with me all ready having the amps. There are movies that are done in DTS EX which is 6.1 and can convert to 7.1 that is why I run 7.1 plus the new HD.

For the DVD and Recorded TV I just use Network shares rather than streaming. That way I get whatever audio the recording has. I don't use consoles so I don't know if Network shares would work for them or not though.

I too am a home theater nut. Right now I have a new Denon receiver, an older platinum series Mitsubishi 65" wide screen HD tv. My speakers are made by Energy and the sub is made by Velodyne.

I am upgrading as soon as the step kid is out of the house....2 more years!!!!

My thoughts are a McIntosh MC207 amp, MX136 pre amp with Martin Logan speakers. I've been researching this for the last few years and I really like the Martin Logan speakers.

As for the screen, I'm still researching those. Every year a better projector comes out so I'm kind of waiting on that. Sony PS3 for Blu Ray, unless McIntosh comes out with something.

I have an older system.

Which I want to upgrade everything!!!

TV is a 32" Phillips. ( Waiting until I can get the 46" Sony Bravia I want before I upgrade)

DVD player is a Sony Progressive scan model about 4 years old. Need to go Blu-ray next.

I have a Sony 6.1 reciever but I am only running it at 5.1. It is about 2 years old.

All my speakers are Sony but are way old!! They work good, but I think a pro wiring job would help them. I also have a Sony 60w subwoofer.

Can you tell I like Sony!?!?!?!?

I just went to Washington Square the other day and was in the Sony store!! (drooler) (drooler)

I just don't have the money needed to get everything I want!! (sad)(sad)

I really like the Martin Logan speakers.

Here is a great store for used and new.. http://echohifi.com/ they deal in mostly mid high to very high end stuff the cool thing id they have a $10 try out... I got my sub and center from them.. you get to try it out for three days if you like you buy if you don't you take back...

I love my Martin and Logan sub...

Here's my stats:

51" Hitachi rear projection wide screen tv (1080i)

Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 HDMI Receiver

Toshiba HD A2 HD DVD player

PS3 (Blu Ray Player)

XBox 360

Nintendo Wii

Polk Audio Speakers in a 7.1 arrangement. All separates, not an all in one system.

Velodyne Sub

I still think that HD-DVD sounds better than Blu-ray. HD-DVD upconverts regular dvds better also.

Would like to spring for a 240hz 1080p LCD on of these days.

Jay

Here is a great store for used and new.. http://echohifi.com/ they deal in mostly mid high to very high end stuff the cool thing id they have a $10 try out... I got my sub and center from them.. you get to try it out for three days if you like you buy if you don't you take back...

I love my Martin and Logan sub...

Sweet man, I gotta go check them out!!!

Has any seen the new LED's yet?

I looked at them but ended up getting a Samsung 8 series tv instead. LEDs were nice but hell new technology is not cheap so went with the latest and greatest. I love the picture of the Samsung and would not go back to my old Mitsubishi.