plumbing in a sump without an overflow

finch6013

I am looking to plumb in a sump. Problem is, my tank does not have an overflow and it is a tempered glass tank.( I know, I should have never purchased it but I didn't know any better when it was a fresh water tank)

How can this be done? I am guessing it will need to be some sort of a syphon system. Trying to do this on my 75 gallon tank and keep the sump under the tank. Dsoz you know what kind of stand I have so maybe you can help.

Also what kind of pump is best to use. I am on a budget but need something to be quiet so the people below me wont go nuts.

Buy an overflow. It is the easiest way to do it. I have an overflow on my small tank until I upgraded to the new tank and drilled it.

An overflow would run about $100 new, or up to $75 used.

Call me tonight and we can talk.

dsoz

http://www.bizrate.com/fishsupplies/products__keyword--fish+tank+overflow+kit.html

6th one down is an example. I am not endorsing this one, just using it as an example.

It creates a siphon that pulls water up over the tank wall. It pulls an equal amount of water that a pump puts into the tank. as 1 part water enters the tank from the pump, 1 part water will be siphoned up over the tank wall and allowed to drain down to the sump.

I can draw a picture of it better than I can describe it.

Better yet. Read this http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/overflow.htm

dsoz

I am glad it makes sense to you. It took me several days of reading and thinking about it, as well as several people explaining it to me before my mind figured it out. And I am supposed to be the science teacher. LOL. Sometimes I over-think things.

dsoz

You won't be sorry if you do decide to run this way. The increased water volume, and increased options for filtration, etc. is worth it. I would still be running an overflow to this day if I didn't get up the guts to put a hole in my perfectly good new tank that I spent all that money on. LOL. My wife thought I was nuts drilling a hole in the tank. It seems to be doing fine so far (knock on wood).

dsoz

I would avoid doing the PVC one. While it does work it's a pain to get it so it is quiet. After 3 tries I gave up and drilled my tank instead. A couple of things to keep in mind. The one in the link is rated for 600 GPH. I would try to get one rated for 150% or more of the pump volume. This gives you some extra flow in case anything partially blocks it. The other thing (speaking from experience) is to be sure the drain pipe itself is large enough. 3/4" will not flow 450 GPH which I almost learned the hard way.(I was able to shut it down but then had to plumb it all over again)

If I was going to run an external overflow I think I would run 2 of them for a little extra peace of mind.