Are Bristle worms bad?

finch6013

A bristle worm hitched in on a new piece of coral. I managed to catch it and put it in a container before added to the tank. I have done some searching and it seems that everyone has a different opinion as to if they are good or bad. This one is orange in color and about an inch long. If he is good I will throw him in, if he's bad then down the toilet he goes.

How hard was he to catch. I have one in my tank that I have only seen late at night a couple of times. (Both times I had to look up under the LR to see him) He disappears before I can take a picture. From what I could find searching the smaller ones that stay hidden are good for the tank and will eat detritus.

most are OK. Like worms in a garden. They dig through the sand and eat the gunk. Some can start to eat the good stuff if the get hungry. Very few will eat anything that is still alive.

I vote for keeping it.

15 years ago, when I had my first tank, I would have voted for the great big white bowl in the sky...

dsoz

Keep them IMO. They are an essential part of any good cleanup crew. I only remove them once they get really large as in about 3-4". I had one once in one of my algae tanks that was at least a foot long and about as thick as a pencil. It ate alot of detritus and excess food lol! I am not sure I would trust one that big next to my softies or slow fish though (bad exerience with a really unhealthy, small scooter blenny I tried to rescue (laugh)(whistle)(sad))

Garrett

Fire worms I thought ate coral? I know that people gave the worms a bad name for leaving them painful reminders not to pick them up and for "eating" there clams (already dead), ive had them clean up dead fish and dead snail for me but Ive never heard of a bristle that ate or eats there coral... weird