A Feather Sea Star - Himerometra species from Advanced Aquarium!!!

CCCP

I just got myself a feather starfish that i got for 22$ at Adnanced aquarium Rian still have i think 2 more of those beauty hanging out there.

Color: The Feather Sea Star has a red, green, brown, tan, red, yellow color.

Size: The Feather Sea Star may grow to 14 inches.

Diet: Planktivore.

Feeding: It likes to eat Micro-planktons and Phytoplankton feeder.

Behavior: The Himerometra species is generally peaceful toward other tankmates.

Care: Many consider the Himerometra species a high-maintenance specimen. Not venomous.

Water flow: The requires intermediate water flow.

General notes: Feather stars, also known as crinoids are very difficult to keep and maintain species and should be attempted by public aquariums, scientific study and other advanced aquarists who are knowledgeable of the feeding and care requirements of this species. The Feather Star have 5 arms but can have up to 200 for older, larger species. The pinnules, or arms, are coated with a sticky substance that filters small particulate matter from the water column. They prefer to cling to the underside of sponges, corals and rockwork and will come out to feed at night in the water column. Feather stars prefer strong currents that carry micro-plankton to them. Many animals live closely with feather stars such as crinoid shrimp, Squat Lobsters, and crinoid clingfish. They share the leftover food that the feather star collects and shelter in it's arms. Most Invertebrates, ESPECIALLY Seastars require very long and slow drip acclimation process of at least 2 hours or more as they cannot adjust quickly to even small changes in pH, temperature, and alkalinity. Like all invertebrates, this species is intolerant of extreme nitrate levels (over 20) and cannot live in tanks that have had copper-based medications dispensed. Due to the sensitive nature of this animals stringent acclimation requirements and sensitivity to being properly acclimated, it is on the Restricted Species List.

Water parameters: Keep water quality high (SG 1.023 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).

Origin: The Feather Sea Star is commonly collected from Indo-Pacific.

post-204-141867765144_thumb.jpg

post-204-141867765147_thumb.jpg

post-204-141867765149_thumb.jpg

post-204-141867765152_thumb.jpg

post-204-141867765155_thumb.jpg

That's a starfish " baby starfish" on feather starfish, looked cool to me, i decited to take a picture :P

And about hard to keep, i got it from Andanced aquarium and he told me that he has the same one in his main tank for 3 years now, still alive, I keep seahorses, had them for 5 month now still alive, so i hope this one will be Ok too. HOPE!!!

Well the one i have it stick itself to a rock in front of the powerhead, that tell's me it likes the strong curent, at night it closes it's tentickles, and when the lights turns on, it's like a flower the feather starfish blums :D funny to watch her. IF there will be any changes i will sure to post it here :D