Bulk chemicals!!!

So... I placed an order through bulkreefsupply last week and just recieved the goods. Turns out I orderd wayyyyyy to much. That being said I have a bunch of chemicals that I would love to get off of my hands. All of the chemicals ordered are high purity, high quality stuff.

So if anyone wants any, here are the prices:

Kalkwasser or Calcium Hydroxide --- $4 per pound (have about 25lbs extra)

Carbon- high efficiency lignite --- Soldout Pending delivery/pickup

Two part calcium/alkalinity doesing:

Calcium Chloride --- $4 per pound (have about 10 lbs extra)

Sodium Carbonate--- $5 per pound (have about 5 lbs extra)

If you want to take a bunch of this stuff off of my hands, I would love to work out a deal.

**Edit** reducing the aviable extra of each item as it is spoken for.

Garrett

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also interested in dosing my tank with calcium/alkalinity, but not sure where to start. Was looking at the bulk reef site to see if I should just buy a kit. I don't see you listing magnesium, did you order just enough of that?

How many pounds is a gallon of the calcium chloride or sodium carbonate?

I'm also interested in dosing my tank with calcium/alkalinity, but not sure where to start. Was looking at the bulk reef site to see if I should just buy a kit. I don't see you listing magnesium, did you order just enough of that?

How many pounds is a gallon of the calcium chloride or sodium carbonate?

I am not sure exactly how many pounds to be exact but from what others have mentioned I believe most people mix up one pound of each for one gallon liquid of each. My guess is that would last a pretty decent amount of time due to its high purity/concentration. I haven't been dosing magnesium but I do have some ready for when I need it. I just don't seem to have a problem getting my magnesium up to 1300-1400 with regular water changes. I am more so anticipating future need as I continue to stock up.

Let me know if you would like some. I still have plenty of all but the carbon left.

Garrett

I got the "total two part package" and I am happy with it. I like the dispensing jugs. It makes it easy to put the parts in the tank. I get a gallon bucket of RO water and put a couple of pumps of either the Ca or the Alk in to dilute it, then add it to my tank. It takes care of top off and dosing at the same time.

I found that by putting the concentrated alk solution in my tank I would get a precipitate form (white cloud). By diluting it in RO water it prevents it from precipitating. Also, I need to add top-off water anyway.

I can see the large kit that I ordered used up in less than a year. Since I have (soon to be gone) a large number of Euphyllia that suck up the calcium and carbonate I need to dose heavy into my tank. If I had a lot fewer stony corals, I could probably stretch the large kit over an entire year, or more.

I am already getting tired of dosing two part. I need to start saving up for a calcium reactor... Not for a long time. :(

dsoz

It is two cups of powder in one gallon of water. Only fill jug part way full, and shake it baby! These chemicals heat up when dissolving in water, so you want to have a way of cooling down the jug. (I put it in my garbage can of RO water, or in my sump if my tank is low temperature).

Then finish filling up the gallon with RO water.

dsoz

I got the "total two part package" and I am happy with it. I like the dispensing jugs. It makes it easy to put the parts in the tank. I get a gallon bucket of RO water and put a couple of pumps of either the Ca or the Alk in to dilute it' date=' then add it to my tank. It takes care of top off and dosing at the same time. [/Quote']

That's what I was thinking. I think the starter kit will be more than enough for me. I only have about 40-45 total water volume.

I am already getting tired of dosing two part. I need to start saving up for a calcium reactor... Not for a long time. :(

dsoz

I'm very bad at keeping to a schedule. What happens if you miss a day or two of dosing? Just put more? Haven't really been reading up that much on it.

Garret, sorry I might be ordering online. I need to pick up 3 salifert test kits anyway.

No problem. Two part isn't for everyone that is for sure. I have a calcium reactor waiting and ready. I use to use it all the time but my demand is so low and I can adjust when I need to using two part and for me at this point it just makes a little more sense. Plus I get a ton more bang for my buck and from what I have seen, sps grow like mad if done correctly either way. I would just make sure to run a kalk reactor or drip kalk when using a calcium reactor. It really helps to balance out the alk, ph, and calcium lvls once you get it all dialed in.

Garrett

I'm very bad at keeping to a schedule. What happens if you miss a day or two of dosing? Just put more? Haven't really been reading up that much on it.

If I miss a day, I just dose like normal. Every few days or once a week I try to test for calcium and alkalinity and make adjustment doses a little more or a little less than my normal. Make sure to let the tank circulate for a couple of hours before testing though.

dsoz