90 gallon reef tank build.

MLF

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to get the pictures to show up. Thanks shane for helping me figure it out.

You are very welcome Monty. Let me know when you need help getting that monster up and running. Very nice!

Shane

Monty, I applaud you for taking it slow and buying as you are able to. This is what I have done for the past oh, 6 months and tomorrow my starphire will be delivered and running. Sweet victory!

Good luck and I think you will find a lot of help here, great people all around these forums.

Congratulations on a great start Monty - looks like it should be a sweet setup! Seems like a reasonable choice re lighting and give you the option to keep some less demanding coral at the bottom of the tank. I am sure you will get some additional recommendations on skimmers and pumps and you might consider some additional circulation via powerheads if you are going to keep SPS. Sounds like you are taking it slow and planning so that is a great first step!

Welcome :D

look for something else or better for around the same price.

I'm thinking about getting a 2009 Octopus Recirculating 150 Protein Skimmer [OCT-DNW-150 for the skimmer.

I had one and was never very happy with it. Just spend a few more bucks and get something better. Just my 2 cents. Not a lot but i just thought I say something about your choice of skimmer.

Love the tank

Thanks everyone for looking. I hope one day it will be a beautiful reef aquarium.

I'm still planning how to setup the sump / refugium.

I'll be building the Durso standpipes myself. I'll be running one 1" Durso and one 3/4" Durso as a backup.

I'm thinking about getting a 2009 Octopus Recirculating 150 Protein Skimmer [OCT-DNW-150 for the skimmer.

And a mag 12 for the return pump, with a flow rate of 1120 at 5 foot Pumping Height. I was thinking about running the return into a 3/4" seaswirl with a max flow rate of 850. I want some extra flow from the retun pump so I can later run a frag tank.

As for the lighting, I'll be running two 250 watt MH with Spiderlight Reflector with Mogul Socket. And a Sunlight Supply Galaxy Dual 250W Electronic Ballast. Later I want to add 2 or 4 T5's and some LED moon lights.

Do you think this setup will work?

I still have a lot to learn, so I'm open to any input.

Thanks

Monty

Monty,

Go with the Herbie style overflow rather than the Durso. It will be much quieter and is less likely to ause any problems. I had a 90 with the durso and changed over to the herbie and it was night and day for noise. I am also in the couve so if you need any help let me know!

Your tank looks great! I cant wait to see it up and running!

I have been doing a lot of research on skimmers latley. I truelly believe the SWC/MSX/Octo Extreme skimmers are the best bang for your buck. They come with a great pump, are reasonably priced, and will compete with the high end skimmers out there. You should look into the SWC version, either the 160 or 200 would be great for your tank!

SWC 160: x160.JPG

SWC 200: x200.JPG

SWC Website: http://saltwaterconnection.com/

Your tank looks great! I cant wait to see it up and running!

I have been doing a lot of research on skimmers latley. I truelly believe the SWC/MSX/Octo Extreme skimmers are the best bang for your buck. They come with a great pump, are reasonably priced, and will compete with the high end skimmers out there. You should look into the SWC version, either the 160 or 200 would be great for your tank!

SWC 160: x160.JPG

SWC 200: x200.JPG

SWC Website: http://saltwaterconnection.com/

Thats the skimmer I bought also.

• 7 months later...