Aptasia question

racefan

I had some Aptasia,nothing severe just a couple of them.I was pondering which route to take to get rid of it when I noticed tonight it seems to be gone.The only thing in my tank is a pair of perc. clowns, a 6 line wrasse,a fire shrimp & an Emerald crab.besides a few misc. snails.Could any of these have suddenly gotten an appetite for it? Mike

From my experients it's still there, when I first saw couple of it I tried to remove it. Everytime I stick my hand in the tank and about to touch it with a razor it shrink and disappear into the hiding places, once i touch it too manny times it moved and hide.... the trail that they move will grow baby Aptasia. Prepared to get lots of pepermint shrimps... they will do the work only with baby aptasia.

Oh and pay very attention to your overflow because the pepermint shrimp to like hang out there and your sump.DOH!

It did not die. They don't die unless you kill them. It moved to a new spot. It will sit, and eat, and grow, then it will make 100,000 babies to take over your world. (evil laughter rings throughout the room). Find it and kill it before it gets you!

dsoz

I had just fed the fish so apparently it had receded into the rock.After I read twogirls reply I went & checked & sure enough it's back.What's best to kill it? I've read if you get peppermint shrimp then you have to feed them when the Aptasia's gone.Won't that just add to my bio load?(29 gal cube)

I've tried lemon juice, kalk and Aiptasia X. I liked X best. But they are evil creatures and nothing I've used so far has eliminated them completely. From what I've heard peppermint shrimp is best (for the small ones).

I had just fed the fish so apparently it had receded into the rock.After I read twogirls reply I went & checked & sure enough it's back.What's best to kill it? I've read if you get peppermint shrimp then you have to feed them when the Aptasia's gone.Won't that just add to my bio load?(29 gal cube)

a couple of peppermint shrimp should't mess up your bioload. They will eat whatever you normally feed your fish.

I have had some mixed success in clients tanks with a Klein's Butterfly I say mixed as it left lps and other corals alone but did like there clam I currently have same fish at home now after it ate all that could be seen it's cleaning up one of my systems and its leaving the rest alone at the moment.In your case with a smaller system you may try nuking the larger ones then using the peppermints to control any further sprout up's.

Peppermint shrimp might do the trick. If not you can get "Aptasia control" works very well for me. You have a tube worm also on bottom of that rock. Those things irritate the(cussing)out of me becuase they put off that stringy stuff to collect food. Get's caught up on all my other stuff.DOH!

Peppermint shrimp might do the trick. If not you can get "Aptasia control" works very well for me. You have a tube worm also on bottom of that rock. Those things irritate the(cussing)out of me becuase they put off that stringy stuff to collect food. Get's caught up on all my other stuff.DOH!

That's what that stuff is! I think it looks like cobwebs.