Mushroom question

racefan

I have a newbie question. I got a mushroom yesterday & when I got it home I put it on a rock.Today I came in from mowing the lawn & noticed it is no longer on the rock! I cannot see it anywhere,do they decide where they want to live kinda like anemone? Mike

No, not so much. I use small amount of glue and then cover with light screen until it's attached to the rock. It may attach in a low flow dark area now that its free flowing.

Other may do differently but I am not lucky at getting things to stay put.

Beckie

I used a dab of super glue when I put it on the rock last night(low light,low flow back inside the reef cave) & this morning it looked like it was trying to pull itself off the rock but I just thought "naw that's not it" maybe it was.Like CA2OR said,it will pop up somewhere,it's not like it can leave.I was just wondering if they decide where they want to live,kinda like a woman:D

I have seen them detach from places that they don't like (not the right lighting or flow). Sometimes they leave a small piece of their foot behind and it grows a new mushroom.

If you used superglue to put it on the rock, that does not work too well. The soft corals will slime up and that makes them detach from the superglue. I have found that a short length of fishing line and a sewing needle works to hold them in place until they attach on their own. Just pretend it is a button and stick the needle through the middle of the mushroom and tie the ends of the fishing line together on a rock so the mushroom is held up against the rock. It will attach within a couple of days.

The other alternative is to put it in a really low flow area with some pebble size pieces of rock. It will attach to one or two pebbles, then you glue the pebbles to your rock, and the glue holds the rock, and not the mushroom.

If you are really interested in that one mushroom, you may need to tear your tank apart to find it. The other alternative is to buy a couple of more. I have some (5 or so) that I will sell for $5 each. Several different colors available. Red, green, blue, spotted, fuzzy, etc.

Good luck

dsoz

It was a year or two ago, but there were some people on nano-reef.com that were putting mushrooms in a blender and chopping them up that way. They ended up with several small mushrooms...

The conclusion was that it was not better to do it that way because the grow out time, and smaller polyps are more sensitive to environmental changes. Cutting a larger one in half gives you two that heal and will be good size in a few weeks. Cutting it into 10 pieces will give you 6 (after mortality) that take a long time to heal up.

dsoz

dsoz

Thanks for the tip. I definitely am not going to tear the tank apart for one mushroom.I'd love to get some from you, however I do not get to Portland area on a regular basis unless I have to. I'm a truck driver & make 720 trips to Portland a year & the desire to do it on the weekends is pretty low.

dsoz

Thanks for the tip. I definitely am not going to tear the tank apart for one mushroom.I'd love to get some from you, however I do not get to Portland area on a regular basis unless I have to. I'm a truck driver & make 720 trips to Portland a year & the desire to do it on the weekends is pretty low.

I understand. If you do come, let me know. I plan on being at the PNWMAS meeting in two weeks.

dsoz