Microbubbles after return pump cleaning?

siskiou

How do you avoid it?

Every time I clean my return pump and set it back up, I get this huge burst of microbubbles, and it takes quite a while for all the bubbles to disappear again.

I also have some bubbles come from the return at other times (not many, but enough to notice).

If the pump is completely submerged, I assume it means I have an air leak somewhere in my return?

The pump is sitting inside a filter sock, and I don't see many bubbles in the return chamber.

Is there an easy way to find out where exactly the problem spot is?

-Susanne

Sounds like you are getting air in the pump when you take it out to clean it.

The other situation sounds like its just more trapped air somewhere or you could be drawing in air from a small crack in the return line maybe....just guessing there , its a stretch.

Okay,

I'll have to investigate that, but in the meantime, how do I avoid the huge burst of bubbles after the cleaning?

I can make sure the pump itself doesn't have air in it, but what about the air in the return line when I turn the pump back on?

Guest Ahbrit

i have the same problem when i do a water change.

My return is hooked up through the chiller and i figured that was part of the problem

My bubbles are there for about 3 hours each time, then nothing until next time i switch it off.

The only way to not get air in your return line is to not expose it to air. This I don't have a clue as how to accomplish. The only thing I can think of is that after the inital burst of bubbles try tapping the return line and maybe you can cause the air to be pushed out and not seep out over time.