RO/DI questions

siskiou

So, after finding out that I've been pouring terrible water bought at a price at a LFS into my tanks, I came across a great deal for a Typhoon III locally.

It came with a TDS meter and is currently producing beautiful 0 TDS water.

My tap water tests at 31 before filtering.

I threw out the first 5 Gallons to flush it, just in case.

My main question is: Is it okay for the unit to sit, filled with water, in between uses? I'll probably turn it on about twice a week for a few hours, but won't need it constantly.

Will I have algae/bacteria growing in the housings (they're clear), and will the filter media get fouled?

I assume most people don't have these running constantly, but I can't imagine emptying out all the housings in between uses, either. (scratch)

And now I'm truly shopped out for this year!(whistle)

Glad you found one!! Your tank will be much happier.

Its a good idea to keep the membrane wet between uses. If you keep it out of the light, that should stave off any algae that *might* grow in there, but i wouldn't worry about that.

Glad you found one!! Your tank will be much happier.

I sure hope so. When I typed in "RO/DI" on the Eugene craigslist, I never expected to actually find anything.

And the previous owner was extremely nice and sold me a whole box of other stuff (squid, maxijets, filter bags) for just a few bucks! :)

Its a good idea to keep the membrane wet between uses.

Just the RO membrane or the other filter media, too?

Oh, and since my frequent water changes to fight the diatoms were actually just feeding them more earlier, should I do several waterchanges with the RO/DI saltwater now, or just top off and let the algae use up what's there and then hopefully vanish?

Both methods have been recommended to me.

I would do your normal WCs, but do larger than usual. Say 10 gal instead of 5.

I think you have to keep water in the entire unit to keep the membrane wet, its the last thing the water passes thru.

Wow maxis too huh. Time for some MJ mods!! (laugh)