Would you pay this much for a phosphate test kit?

R-3

Wow. I've heard that most phosphate test kits aren't much use because of sensitivity problems and that phosphate can bind in several different (and hard to measure) ways. Maybe this kit overcomes all that? The price is pretty steep though, I think I'll stick with my current kit... Green Hair Algae :cool:

This is the same PO4 kit that I've been using for a few years now. The Merck kit is the most sensitive around...it's highest reading is equivelent to Sailfert's lowest reading. It has a sensativily down to .01. If you really want to test things for PO4 (tank, foods, salts, carbon, etc) for trace amounts of PO4....then you need a Merck test kit or the Hanna colorimeters.

Actually you do....you mix the water sample with a reagent....then place the test tube into the colorimeter.....which gives you a digital read out. The only difference between the Hanna colorimeter and the Merck test kit is that the colormeter gives you a digital read out of the PO4 level....and with the Merck test kit, you have to compare the result with a chart. I think that you get more tests with the Merck test kit....but, I'm not sure....I'll have to ask Travis how many tests are possible with the given amount of reagent. My Merck test kit came with five bottles of reagent....I haven't even used the first one up yet....and I've had it for at least 18 months. Both the colorimeter and the Merck test kit have the same low value sensitivity...about .01.

Actually you do....you mix the water sample with a reagent....then place the test tube into the colorimeter.....which gives you a digital read out. The only difference between the Hanna colorimeter and the Merck test kit is that the colormeter gives you a digital read out of the PO4 level....and with the Merck test kit' date=' you have to compare the result with a chart. I think that you get more tests with the Merck test kit....but, I'm not sure....I'll have to ask Travis how many tests are possible with the given amount of reagent. My Merck test kit came with five bottles of reagent....I haven't even used the first one up yet....and I've had it for at least 18 months. Both the colorimeter and the Merck test kit have the same low value sensitivity...about .01.[/quote']

There goes my theory! (laugh) Thanks for the info Steve

Miles