Selling off fully stocked tank with all the gear. What do?

Ory Foltz

Hello!

I have been in the hobby for awhile and I absolutely love it. Unfortunately for me the last few years have required me to move every 8-10 months, and I am about to have to move again. I have also been having electric problem at this apartment which has led to some coral loss and occasionally stressed livestock (GFI became super weak and caused the temp to dip when it tripped during the night, stuff like that) This makes handling my livestock a huge pain, and it is really starting to wear me down 😕 I have a smallish cube aquarium with a custom made 45 gallon sump. In these tanks I have coral frags, live rock with corals/anemones on them, fish, crustaceans, etc. A fairly well developed tank. I also have all the gear, 4-stage rodi, bubble magus skimmer, lights, gyre circulation pump, tons and tons of chemicals, medicine, 5 gallon buckets everywhere, etc. etc. So, as sad as it makes me, how do I go about realistically selling this stuff off and making sure it all goes to good homes 😕

Thanks guys, also this is my first post so if I broke a rule I apologize.  

2D3E6598-D7FC-43D4-A840-71693C909E6B.jpeg

569A9F59-D414-4C40-A8AE-D98B17061A1A.jpeg

15D8E811-6868-4DCD-834E-36233F986220.jpeg

You'd probably either want to sell the tanks as a whole (will probably be harder to sell this way) or start by selling live stock/live rock then the equipment. As far as pricing, that's gunna be more based on what you feel it's worth. Live rock usually goes for around +-$2 per pound on the forum. I'd suggest looking for some other entire system sells in the classified section of this forum and see how they sold there systems.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I will post items with price once I am ready, this is a general q/a about the best way to break a tank down and sell the more difficult stuff to price like live rock with coral on it. 

Sorry, I forgot to check which forum this was under. It’s under general so you’re totally fine. When you start a sale thread it will be under the classified and then you will need pricing. But for now you are just fine.
As for pricing I would just list stuff for what you feel ok letting it go for. I know that sounds simple but you should feel good about your sales.
If you’re ok with selling a rock for say $50. Then just write it as “rock with corals $50 OBO”. The OBO stand for “or best offer” and that will allow people to offer you less if they think your asking too much :)
Or as Nate said, list the whole thing as one item. Yes you will sell it overall for less but it can be much easier that trying to part out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1