Noob Alert!

jadams7

Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Jase, I currently am living in Eugene (going to the U of O, go ducks) but will be moving back to my home town (Salem) here in about a month, and attending Willamette University. I am both new to the website here, and new to the hobby. I have had a tank now for about 3 months, and dove in head first. I have a 46 gal bowfront, and just recently purchased a 72 gal bowfront (which I will set up once I move here in a month). Anyways the addiction is definitely there, and at such an early stage it is very scary, just ask my girlfriend. I have attached (or attempted to attach) some pictures of my tank. There is tons of sand in it right now, seeing as I got a bunch last weekend when I bought my 72 gal, and had to keep it alive. Anyways, glad to have joined, and I have already learned tons from you guys already. I am sure I will have some questions when setup time comes for my 72 gal here in a month. Thanks!

Sorry for the crappy pictures, that is about the extent of my photography skills. I will try to attach more here in a sec.

post-1660-141867768924_thumb.jpg

post-1660-141867768949_thumb.jpg

post-1660-141867768969_thumb.jpg

post-1660-141867768972_thumb.jpg

post-1660-141867768975_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the input guys. So pardon my ignorance' date=' but how long do I have and what could happen with the caulerpa I have? I bought the tank with most of it as it is right now and has been running for 3+ years, are there any signs of possible trouble?[/quote']

There are no "signs" of the calurpa going sexual. Some think that it is triggered by low nutrients, changing light schedule, over-growth... Who knows.

You would do well to pull a lot (most) of that calurpa out of the tank and throw it out (let it dry before disposal so it does not invade local waterways). It will grow back quickly.

Try to get some chaeto. Post a want in the classifieds and you will probably get a few people offer to give you some for free (or cheep). If you make it to Portland, you have more people that have chaeto that they can give you.

Once you get some chaeto, pull out all the calurpa that you can get. It may take several tries to get it all, and you may never get it all short of pulling out any rock that it is attached to and letting it dry out for a looooooong time.

Once you have chaeto, you will be glad you got rid of the calurpa. (my opinion)

dsoz

Ok operation calurpa-out round 1 just took place. Got as much as I could off of the live rock in the tank (did not realize how much of it there was!). I will go back in a day or 2 when I see some more. I left the refugium alone for now. Should I try and weed it down a bit? or just wait until I get some chaeto and re-do the whole thing?

On a separate note, in cleaning off my rock I noticed some very small starfish shaped critters with very long legs that moved around relatively quick. I saw 2 dark brown ones with white bands all over their legs, and an all white one. Are these good? Where do they come from? Will they grow to a decent size?

On a separate note' date=' in cleaning off my rock I noticed some very small starfish shaped critters with very long legs that moved around relatively quick. I saw 2 dark brown ones with white bands all over their legs, and an all white one. Are these good? Where do they come from? Will they grow to a decent size?[/quote']

Sound like microstars which are kind of cool. Have a bunch that started popping out a few days ago, may be spawning time. Everything I've read about them is they're good critters. If you watch closely, you may often see 1 arm sticking out of rocks, waving. They get to be from the size of a dime to a quarter.

Not to start beings he's already doing what was recommended but have any of you actualy had your tank crash from caulerpa going a-sexual ive kept it for years had it spore on me other then a green tank never had a prob. I still to this day dont see a reason not to use in a refugium in fact i dislike cheato for the fact it plugs overflows and pumps if it gets sucked into display. had it happen to a client already and he has now switch back to caulerpa anyways just curious what your take is cuz for the past ten years never had a tank crash do to it.I know im about to get flamed and cheato is fine to use to and maybe even safer but I think the study's on caulerpa have ben flawed as there are many types and i also think that there natural sporing also provides food.But like everyone this is just MOP.

• 4 weeks later...

Caulerpa is all dead and gone. Got some Chaeto and put it in my new setup (72 gal bow) and seems to be working fine. I am getting a bit of reddish looking algae in the sump, not in the tank. It is not long hair algae i dont think, any idea what it might be? Is it a problem? Will it eventually go away?

Caulerpa is all dead and gone. Got some Chaeto and put it in my new setup (72 gal bow) and seems to be working fine. I am getting a bit of reddish looking algae in the sump' date=' not in the tank. It is not long hair algae i dont think, any idea what it might be? Is it a problem? Will it eventually go away?[/quote']

Red macroalgae or microalgae? Does it look like red slime or a red vine?

Red slime is probably cyanobacteria. Red vine is (???) I don't remember, but I think it could be a type of calurpa... Red hair algae is another choice, and it is called... red hair algae.

dsoz