Skimmer Advice

Snappy

I have a 28gallon nano cube all in one and am needing to replace the broken skimmer. With only 2.7 x 3.2" of room in my overflow compartment, Hang On Back seems to be the best bet, as I have a larger bio-load. Does anyone have experience with using a reef octopus, icecap, or eshopp HOB? Any recommendations on what to get or to avoid for my 28 gallon skimmer? I'm hoping to get something rated well over 28 gallons. My aquarium has been done on a budget, but I'm willing to spend $100-200 knowing this will be the main investment besides lighting.

If anyone has a Nano Cube 28g with an upgraded skimmer I would love to see. Can't find much online.

Thanks

Im really considering the Aquamaxx HOB. It says its rated 60 high bioload gallons or 90 low. Will this be too much skim for my 28g?

I've also considered the Icecap nano. It is rated for 30 light load gallons. Not sure if this would suffice for me. In researching, too little or too much skim is less efficient than a proper amount. Seems like all skimmers are rated with 30 at the highest possible load, or 60 being the lowest. That being said, if the icacap nano would work, it would likely fit inside the overflow and be ideal.

Another good one to look into is a Tunze 9004 if it will fit. I was pretty impressed with how well it worked when I had one. Nano skimmers are tricky, I’d always look at what pump they use and read reviews.

The HOB aquamaxx might be a bit oversized for your tank, they do make an in tank one as well, the WS-1. Worth checking out too, they use Sicce pumps. Honestly, not sure on the icecap pumps and how they hold up and skim.

• Like 1

The Tunze won't fit my tank as I have aftermarket lighting and clear top lid. Lighting is out of the way, but the lid wide flush with the top of the display area.

I've also heard that the best in sump skimmer is better than the worst hang on back. If this is true at all, the icecap would be the only high end model that I think will fit inside my overflow chamber. JBJ nano cube has only 2.7" width in the back in all chambers. 

Ive heard the Eshopps Italian pump is good, but it is over 2 feet tall. The Only Aquamaxx I can use will be HOB style.