Hello!

KeanuReefs

I’ve creeped around this site long enough I figured I should say hello.

I’m a Portland native and iv kept tanks most of my life. Even got to work at the world of wet pets in high school.

Currently, I have a lackluster 120 with a handful of small sps colonies.

I recently purchased a house. So now it’s time to figure out how to move and upgrade the system now that my wife and I and no longer renting.

Thanks,

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Sean and congrats on the new house.

Definitely lots of buckets and there are usually people on here that you can borrow some from if needed.

If you are planning on upgrading, you may just want to consider breaking down your current tank and just starting with a brand new one. Of course being in a new house you might have a limited budget.

I really like the Red Sea Reefers and Jeff at Cuttlefish can get you a good deal!

• Like 2

Welcome and congrats on the new house!  Yeah, if you are moving the tank anyway it's a good time to consider switching things up if you want to and can swing it.  Lots of folk on here with experience moving large tanks who I'm sure would be willing to chime in.  I like to play it safe and assume I won't get my main tank back up the same day so tend to make sure I have the ability to house all livestock for a day or two in other containers just in case... last thing you want to do is throw it back together just to have a place to put things.  That said, with some careful planning, some spare hands, and some good luck you can definitely pull it off in a day.  Hopefully you can make it to one of the meetings and get introduced so some of the many helpful members on here.

Fun user name BTW.

Yes I was just at cuttlefish and saw the Red Sea peninsula 160. It was gorgeous. More importantly my wife liked it! So the plan is to get one for the new house.

I have a drilled 60gal laying around. My plan was to get it running in the garage of the new house using water and rock from my current system. Then move my coral to the 60 gal cube. Then slowly transfer to the red sea reefer.

Then sell some of my old equipment. Which would mainly just be the tank (truvu), stand, sump, and ATI 6 bulb 60in T5s. Plan on switching to the Ai leds.

It scary moving my coral so much but don’t see anyway around it.

Thanks for all the feedback! Glad to be apart of this community!

• Like 1

Welcome and congrats on the new house!  Yeah, if you are moving the tank anyway it's a good time to consider switching things up if you want to and can swing it.  Lots of folk on here with experience moving large tanks who I'm sure would be willing to chime in.  I like to play it safe and assume I won't get my main tank back up the same day so tend to make sure I have the ability to house all livestock for a day or two in other containers just in case... last thing you want to do is throw it back together just to have a place to put things.  That said, with some careful planning, some spare hands, and some good luck you can definitely pull it off in a day.  Hopefully you can make it to one of the meetings and get introduced so some of the many helpful members on here.
Fun user name BTW.

Thanks, I had just watched John wick before signing up!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KeanuReefs said:

Yes I was just at cuttlefish and saw the Red Sea peninsula 160. It was gorgeous. More importantly my wife liked it! So the plan is to get one for the new house.

I have a drilled 60gal laying around. My plan was to get it running in the garage of the new house using water and rock from my current system. Then move my coral to the 60 gal cube. Then slowly transfer to the red sea reefer.

Then sell some of my old equipment. Which would mainly just be the tank (truvu), stand, sump, and ATI 6 bulb 60in T5s. Plan on switching to the Ai leds.

It scary moving my coral so much but don’t see anyway around it.

Thanks for all the feedback! Glad to be apart of this community!

Well if the wife likes it than you are set! They really do have nice clean designs. It sounds like you have a good plan for moving your coral. Most of the time I find it’s the sps that takes a hit. I tried to kill some mushrooms once. I had them in a Rubbermaid tub with mostly new rock for 2 months and they lived.