shaywood

DId I Mess Up - Tricolor Lubbock's Wrasse(s)

I've had a tricolor wrasse in my 116g tank for a year.  Today, I purchased a second one which is a little larger.  The original wrasse is pecking at the new one.  Did I make a mistake?

• Like 2

I just added a second tricolor in with an established one.  They've definitely been scrapping because they are establishing who gets to become the male.  Mine have mostly sorted it out and the bigger one has already mostly changed.  That said, they're both missing some scales.  I think you're probably ok but they're going to be a little feisty for a few weeks until they sort it out. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting. Thanks.  The new one is bigger.  I didn't realize this type of fish can change genders.

• Like 1

Yea, since my bigger one was the old one the fight was over pretty quickly.  I suspect your combination might elicit a more prolonged bout.  Just watch for one of them to start turning more blue, that was the first sign ours showed that he was changing.  

Ugh, just a quick update here.  The bigger aspirant male has been losing a lot of scales lately.  I haven't seen any aggression but I suspect it's the smaller tri-color.  The fight continues. 

The one I added (who is bigger) disappeared after a day. The older one just owns the place. My mistake. 

• Like 1