Whats your favorite color spectrum for coral growth?

HexaReef

17 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

Here's my ReefBreeders schedule I made.  Not the spreadsheet, the owner made that.

test.JPG

Pretty cool.  Thanks for sharing.  I don't have this kind of granularity on mine but have a similar ratio of "blues" (channel 3,5,6 equivalents) and "whites" (one, two, four equivalents) at peak. I can't ramp so run the blues from noon to 10 and the whites from 2 to 8 with some moonlight supplementation for two hours on either side.

• Like 1

R+G and white tend to look the same and produce similar par.  According to my own anecdotal experience and many long talks with the manufacturer of my light, he feels that those two things are essentially interchangeable to a point.  

From a horticulture perspective, green plants cannot see green light so imo green is the most worthless channel and only exists to make red useful (carries it further).  On it's own, red is definitely half of the light needed for photosynthesis.  Blue is the other.  The reason I use more actual R+G than white is because white also contains yellow which looks gross (because our water is actually already yellow usually) and blues which are already being put out by other diodes.  Just makes controlling the overall spectrum easier.  That said, I've tried to completely replace white with R+G and it looks funky.  Spectrum is really difficult with our tanks and something that I've been kind of forced to study due to the nature of my light controller. 

image.png

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 2