albertareef

Starfish Comeback?

Sounds like the West Coast starfish population may be making a comeback from the infamous wasting syndrome of 2013-14.  I usually saw a couple examples when tide pooling in/around Newport (OR) the last few years but definitely seemed significantly depleted.  Would be nice to see more/larger variety of specimens there again.

http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.ssf/2017/12/starfish_making_comeback_4_yea.html#incart_river_home_pop

In the last few years when I was visiting the Oregon coast I wasn't ever able to find any. But when I went to sunset bay this year I found dozens. It was really nice to see. 

• Like 1