Re-cooking dry rock...

Optimusprime3605

Ok, not sure if I'm using the correct terminology or if I'm even doing it or did it correctly....

About a year and a half ago, I filled a 55gal plastic drum (the blue kind) with dry rock. Mostly med to large in size. Placed about 4 pumps with the rocks in different areas for circulation. Filled drum with RO water and let it do its thing for 2 months. After 2 months, I emptied all the water 'cuz it stunk like no other and replenished with new fresh RO water. I again, let it do its thing for another 2 months. Emptied water then replenished but this time, I let it circulate for about 6 months. Water appeared clear with no stench. Emptied water and rocks, placed about a 1/4 of the rocks in my new display. Let my display cycle for about 3 months before adding any live stock. That was January of this year.

Fast forward to now...

I have the left over rock, about 3/4 full (probably several hundred pounds), of which is now literally dry rock again, still in the drum.

My question is...Do I need to re-cook the rocks or just simply spray off the dust and place in the tank?

Thank you in advance for any advice🤙

Sent from my man cave hoping the Dodgers win the World Series [emoji14]

Wouldn't hurt to re cook to ensure you kill off anything that may have accumulated on the rock since it has been sitting dry in the drum. Just be sure when you add it to the tank not to increase your bioload and give the new rock time to house bacteria. I would also suggest more frequent water changes than 2 months.

• Like 1

Wouldn't hurt to re cook to ensure you kill off anything that may have accumulated on the rock since it has been sitting dry in the drum. Just be sure when you add it to the tank not to increase your bioload and give the new rock time to house bacteria. I would also suggest more frequent water changes than 2 months.
How long do you suggest I re-cook the rocks? I'm hoping not to long since its been in a drum with a lid. Can't imagine anything other than dust particles settling on the rocks.

Sent from my man cave hoping the Dodgers win the World Series [emoji14]

55 minutes ago, Optimusprime3605 said:

How long do you suggest I re-cook the rocks? I'm hoping not to long since its been in a drum with a lid. Can't imagine anything other than dust particles settling on the rocks.

Sent from my man cave hoping the Dodgers win the World Series emoji14.png

Long enough that there is no Ammonia readings for a week, I personally change the water weekly when I cook in a small container. (It's debatable if water changes are needed we all have our own theories) but the point of cooking to begin with is to remove everything thats dead off the rock, we should be able to witness this if we replace the water once a week, check the ammonia the following and it still reads 0 I would say your good to go for your purposes.