Visiting LFS ediquette

Aznbala

Having worked at a shop I'd say it's cool as long as you don't swamp the employees with every question imaginable. Taking care of livestock, customer service and making sales can be challenging as is.

All within reason I suppose. If it's very busy and you're not in a hurry just wait it out til things slow back down.

• Like 2

I think it's just fine. Let them know you aren't ready yet. Most will give you the tour and answer any questions you have. I stop in to the one by my place a couple times a week. Often I don't buy anything. But I know them and they know me now. I know which employees I trust to ask questions. Getting to know the staff there will help you when you are ready. This is such a delicate hobby that you need to know that you can trust and get accurate information from the people you are buying from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was in the same boat for a few years between tanks and would visit C&C on a regular basis to check out the latest offerings. They were always helpful despite knowing where I was at (Jorge could speak to how annoying this might have been ?). I think the key is to be honest about your status and respectful of the staff's time.  I usually made a point of deferring if it was obvious there was someone ready to purchase and limit questions when busy. I think most of the shops value a dedicated customer and are willing to invest some time cultivating a relationship knowing what a challenging hobby this can be.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, albertareef said:

I was in the same boat for a few years between tanks and would visit C&C on a regular basis to check out the latest offerings. They were always helpful despite knowing where I was at (Jorge could speak to how annoying this might have been ?). I think the key is to be honest about your status and respectful of the staff's time.  I usually made a point of deferring if it was obvious there was someone ready to purchase and limit questions when busy. I think most of the shops value a dedicated customer and are willing to invest some time cultivating a relationship knowing what a challenging hobby this can be.

Yes Sean i remember when you were still window shopping lol.. You were always courteous and let us take care of customers that were shopping first. I always enjoy helping people out and hearing their experience afterwards. Looks like I'll be helping at cuttlefish again and I'm more than happy to help and get reef tanks going in the right direction. Jeff is very knowledgeable and also always makes himself available to everyone. Shopping or Not! So yeah, swing by!! Lol

• Like 3

On 6/27/2017 at 2:15 PM, Aznbala said:

Hi I like to visit the local fish stores and just look around. I cannot buy anything because my house is not ready for one atm. Is it bad to visit all the stores a couple times a month just browsing?  Anyone else do this?

To be honest, I think a lot of LFS owners enjoy frequent customers. You just have to play nice.

I think the things you shouldn't do are:

1. Not reach hands in tanks
  2. Not catch your own fish and coral
  3. Not ask if you can get the best friends deal on equipment.
  4. Definitely  hog the owner with questions.
  5. Definitely tell the aquarium store owner they are wrong. You read it on a forum.
  • Like 1