New Reefer in NE PDX

pdxmonkeyboy

Well, it seems I am launching into yet another hobby to consume that extra little bit of free time I have.  I had a saltwater tank as a kid and last year went a little overboard on african cichlids.  So I have two 110 gallon all male tanks, a 75 mbuna tank, a 40 with a rapidly growing jaguar cichlid and 75 with a pair of green terrors (oh, and a mixed 40 gallon planted and of course, the girlfriends 5 gallon pea puffer tank).  Phew!

Anywho.. I ultimately want something in the 120 or 180 gallon range but I don't have the room for it right now (and I want to have some nice corals for when I set it up) So I am going to build a 4x2x16" frag tank with a 40 gallon sump and see if I can be successful growing polyps and sps.  I have an 8 bulb T5ho light, bubble magnus skimmer, ranco temp controller, and a blue tooth bluelab guardian temp, DS, and ph monitor. I plan on having live rock and chateo (spelling?) in my sump.  Flow wise I have the sump return pump and a jabaeo wave maker.  I may need one more but I suppose I can set it up and see how it works. 

I'm going to pick up a sheet of 1/2" acrylic tomorrow and should have the tank and coast to coast overflow done by some time next week.  

Anyways.. I'm excited to meet some fellow reefers!!! 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum! You will fit right in! Pea puffers are so cute by the way was just talking about puffers and how they are the dogs of the saltwater world!:puffer:

If you can you should try to make the March 18 meeting. We are giving a talk about shipping corsls. You have to sell a few things sometimes to fund this hobby !:happy:

• Like 1

thanks for the welcome.  My girlfriend definately loves the odd fish.  you have never seen someone so excited about plecostomous in your life   :)

I clicked around and couldn't find any info on the meeting?  I would love.to come introduce myself.  I will probably start a build thread for my tank and sump. 

right off the bat... what do people use to elevate frag trays?.. 

• Like 1