Crazy flowing protein skimmer

rspring

We've got a protein skimmer that we can get going perfectly sometimes, but not always. Most often it's temperamental. It loves to overflow the middle cylinder and simply pour into the collection bin up top. It happens sometimes if we add water, other times it's an eventual over the course of a day.

How do we stabilize it? We've tried venturi valve adjustments, which works sometimes, but other times not. (flame) (scratch) (cussing) Help us please?

I have the same problem with my Coralife Super Skimmer. It seems to go nuts when I add top-off water. It has to do with the different properties of salt vs. fresh water. Try to top off less water more often so the salinity does not change so much when you do top off. I don't know what else to tell you. I am kinda new to this myself.

By the way, welcome to the site. :)

dsoz

When was the last time you cleaned the skimmer and pump? Might just need to be cleaned.

Or it might have to do with the water level in which it sits in, some skimmers need to sit in an exact amout of water all the time to be operating correctly. (along the lines of what dsoz said)

Adding FW will make the water level in the skimmer higher, the properties of SW and FW are different when it comes to injecting air. I assume you have a somewhat small sump, so when you add the FW it lowers the salinity making the water level in the skimmer rise. Feeding will also affect how your skimmer acts, as will just putting your hand into the water.

What kind of skimmer is it? Any mods done to it?

• 2 weeks later...