light standards for corals

dalmatin13

It depends on what you have as far as corals. Different corals like different par values. Here is an example of an old set up I had. If you are going to do just beginner corals you can get by with pars in the 200 to 300 range. 

Most people use LEDS and we have 2 very good local people

Reefstar and Ocean Revive who could tell you exactly what type of light would work well. 

Here's a picture of an old tank of mine. The numbers are different par values:

DSC08127ARW-1.jpg

If you go t5 or metal halide...as much light as you can get above your tank without raising the temp above 80. LED's are a different story because you can definitely have too strong(intense) of light.

Best to go to the local shops and see what lighting you like the best.

Cuttlefish has both t5 and led setup.

Upscales has metal halide, t5, and led

Premium awuarium has halide and led

And critter cabana has led.

What fixture are you trying to use? Blackice is right, but not only will they look brown, but they will die with that spectrum.

These are some bulbs you should consider...t5 HO...48" bulbs should be 54watt.

http://www.atinorthamerica.com/bulbs.php

Theyre about 5x more money, and worth every red cent.

Edited by Mandinga

I know it's hard when you're first starting out to justify the price for the good light but your lighting should be the top three most expensive things on your tank. without a good light you can't have a a nice tank. And LEDs are not that bad if you look around the OR t247 are great lights the do the Job and at 150-200 each they just can't be beat as far as bang for the buck.

• Like 1

I know it's hard when you're first starting out to justify the price for the good light but your lighting should be the top three most expensive things on your tank. without a good light you can't have a a nice tank. And LEDs are not that bad if you look around the OR t247 are great lights the do the Job and at 150-200 each they just can't be beat as far as bang for the buck.

last I checked they are selling their S026 unit (no internal timer) for $129! It was on sale for Christmas time I think. I run three above my 180 and two above the frag tank, they are awesome lights and a great price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...