Yikes! Nitrite!

siskiou

I just checked the water in my QT tank, and it all of a sudden shows Nitrite!

I've already done a pretty substantial water change and added some Amquel.

What else can I do?

How much water is safe to be changed out (I've done about 40% so far)?

The OT has been going for 12 days, and is running a filter which has been on my main tank to be populated with bacteria before I set it up.

Parameters have been fine, apart from about 20ppm of Nitrate up to this point.

Simplify the system, remove any culprits, sponge filters, any type of mechanical filters other than your skimmer, don't run anymore chemical cleaners and possibly run some carbon for a few hours. Simplify and water change, its usually a simple thing your forgot you changed that causes the problem, I know you where experimenting with some type of filter system some time ago, not sure what it was, but simplify and troubleshoot from there.

It may simply be die off from the filter itself... If the bio-load on the filter drops when you move it from your main tank to the QT the bacteria level will adjust to the new level of 'food' it has. Keep in mind that the tank is always cycling to some extent... bacterial levels are always rising and falling (dying off) and that may have caused a small spike... ?

Ben

Guest Mbeef61

i agree with inkto...i think this may sometimes be the culprit itself...otherwise if its a small amount i think you should be fine and it should cycle out...nitrite isnt nearly as toxic as ammonia in high ph saltwater