75g Shallow Cube Build

Dragon

+1 on the beautiful wrasses, you have a great collection indeed. How is the mystery wrasse as far as aggression with the others? I have almost got one several times but have heard they can kinda be bullies as they get big.

Thanks! I've had the mystery wrasse for a while and he can be slightly territorial at times, but he's a wuss at heart. He will often flare up around new tank members and try to show them who's boss, but he never really nips at another fish. He's the most mischievous and the biggest loner in the wrasse pack, but not much of a bully. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

IMG_6692_zpsvtxpntw6.jpg

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been focused on my larger tank build... Here's a proper shallow tank FTS. The tank has gone through some alk swings due to using kalk in my ATO (clogging pump) and low alk in the Kent salt I've been using causing swings during water changes. I had some red slide algae due to low alk that is now going away as I've gotten it back up and things stabilize.

Here's a shot of my Potter's Leopard as well. He's been in the tank since it was set up, but hasn't gotten any love in this thread.

IMG_6680_zpsrixtq3cw.jpg

Looking good my friend colors are popping, by the way  do you use kalk for all your tanks? I had an indecent a couple years ago and have since stopped using it. It was human error so I have contemplated going back to it again from time to time.

Looking good my friend colors are popping, by the way  do you use kalk for all your tanks? I had an indecent a couple years ago and have since stopped using it. It was human error so I have contemplated going back to it again from time to time.

I've stopped using Kalk. I liked that it was a cost effective way to keep my alk, ca and ph stable, until it started clogging my ATO pump and throwing off the dosages. After being shocked a few times with low alk tests, I realized I needed to make a change. I have a dosing pump I plan on setting up soon, but for now, I am dosing manually.

I've contemplated trying another salt, but have yet to find an option that makes more sense.

I've stopped using Kalk. I liked that it was a cost effective way to keep my alk, ca and ph stable, until it started clogging my ATO pump and throwing off the dosages. After being shocked a few times with low alk tests, I realized I needed to make a change. I have a dosing pump I plan on setting up soon, but for now, I am dosing manually.

I've contemplated trying another salt, but have yet to find an option that makes more sense.

Good idea to switch to manual dosing.

Why roll the dice with water changes and constantly changing the chemistry of your tank? Nitrates and Phosphates can be controlled by other methods. Ive been promoting the tiny/no water changes for about a year now and couldn't be happier.

One should always check water prior to making large water changes as it is rare that a salt will be the same as a well established tank.

That is why I reconstitute the Kent salt with an appropriate additive and, as mandinga mentioned, keep them stable with twice a day dosing manually or a dose pump.