New to PNWMAS..Not New to Marine Aquaria

DeepFried

Afternoon Everyone - I have been invovled in saltwater aquaria for about five years now. My first tank was a 55g reef with softies. After moving I downgraded to a 12g nano which I still thoroughly enjoy. Forever yearning for the big tank, I finally acquired a 125g beast recently :D The tank currently has a sump installed and I have a question...

I want to place a refugium in the sump, however, my in sump skimmer is taking up the middle chamber. There is a chamber at the begining of the sump containing bio balls. should I ditch all the bio balls, install the skimmer in the first chamber, thus gibing me room for my refugium?

I will take a few pics when I get home this afternoon and post them here for you to take a gander at. Any assistance or ideas you have are greatly appreciated! I know i definitely want to get rid of bio balls as I know the immense benefits of having a nice refugium.

Welcome to the site! Sounds like a great tank, can't wait for pics!

If it were me, i would skip the fuge. They are such a detrius pit IMO. If you just wanted to grow the macro algae that would be easy and simple. But the fuge on my last tank was just nasty and i think that is where some problems can start out, ie nitrates.

Anyway, i'm sure it will do what you want either way you go. Hope to see the tank in person sometime as well!

Miles

If it were me, i would skip the fuge. They are such a detrius pit IMO. If you just wanted to grow the macro algae that would be easy and simple. But the fuge on my last tank was just nasty and i think that is where some problems can start out, ie nitrates.

Miles

Thanks Impur! So, is it your experienc/belief that running a bio ball laden sump is better (more beneficial) than running a sump with refugium?

I haven't ever run bioballs before so i can't comment other than the things i've read. And all i've read is bioballs are a no no ;)

I run my 75gal w/ a 20gal sump & skimmer. No bioballs, no macro, no fuge. Seems to be working great thus far.

Miles

Thnx 180. I was thinking of doing the same thing. So here is my idea...

Remove the bio balls, keep the skimmer, drop in some chaeto and a few live rock pieces, and run a lamp over the chaeto on a reverse cycle. I looked closely last night, and I have copopods running around in the sump, I think they would multiply and benefit imensely from a few live rock pieces and some chaeto.

Tank pics will be taken tonight. I know i said last night, but the kid got a little crazy :)

As for livestock....The tank was aquired well established (been up for over a year and a half). I instantly adopted new fish of course. Currently there is a conglomerate of fish in the tank. A blue Tang, a yellow tang, a green chromis, three or four different damsels, two adult engineer goby's, two six line wrasse, a couple different blennies I have yet to identify, a peppermint shrimp, a coral banded shrimp, a lobster of some sort, a red sea cucumber, and a pair of clowns I migrated from my smaller tank.

As you can see the person I got the tank from was putting in livestock willy nilly not giving it any thought. I am going to do some trap work in the near future and move out some of the inhabitants.

As for corals...I have the usual mushrooms, a purple ribbon gorgonian, a massive yellow gorgonian, a few small frags of zoo's, and a torch. All the corals are mine from my 12g nano. I just upgraded the decrepide lighting that had PC's that were a year and a half old! Now, it is running 3x150 MH 20k's. I am hoping I can now expand my horizons on the coral offerings :D

I do a 10% every two weeks. I have not seen any issues in the parameters, but I feel it's best to be safe than sorry. My skimmer does a wonderful job of cleansing the water as well. I am definitely going to "thin out the heard", probably this weekend. There have been no issues with compatability. They all swim freely in the tank and interact well.... I know, a little surprising (scratch)

You might be able to just throw some chaetomorpha(I think thats how its spelled) in there near the front, below the bio balls. I would take those out and replace them with a good amount of real porous live rock. IMO that will do a better job of keeping your system nice and clean. Other than that, you may need to drill your sump to accomidate a second setup for your refugium. That shouldn't be to hard and will alow you to better control flow and the types of plants, algaes and animals you want in the fuge. Plus this will add a high volume of water to your system and help with clean water and overall bio load. Anyway good luck and i like the sump you have, it looks nice and clean.