My new Elegance.

Garrett

Definately was one of my favorite species, i enjoy it even more now i got one. Couldnt find one to my liking in portland metro, so Garrett got my business and i drove down for such a nice piece

15e04bda.jpg

d3a6c8fb.jpg

my horibble camera makes this thing look awful the green looks more like this

89899372.jpg

and here is one that does it justice this was the one Garrett took at his shop

d6fc0f7d.jpg

Where is this specimen from, Indonesia, or Australia? The reason I ask, is that I made the mistake of buying one that came from Indonesia and the mortality rate from Indo is terrible. I'm embarrassed to say it was an impulse buy and I didn't do my research first. In my opinion, elegance corals from Indonesia should be banned from the hobby. I hope yours is from Australia. Good luck.

ive done my resesearch and to be honest i have no idea you cant tell by the specimen and ive read about there care and lighting its polyp is fully attached its tentacles move gently randomly and its colors are amazing. the reason indo elegances are no longer liked in the hobby is because in 80s 90s they were overharvested in the indo location now making them go deeper and further off shore to get a specimen making them weaker to lights...

just another example of taking the planet forgranted... but im one to speak considering i got one now

from my reading the best guess at telling it how dirty the calcium skeleton itself is? being that the indos would be in a deep mud base i cant tell the difference unless i had one first hand to compare

but it definately wasnt an impulse it was a good specimen and im aware of the supposed difficulty we will see if i made the mistake tho, its all about protecting their weak polyps i completely re did my rock to make a gentle flow clean it and shade it lightly yet not one time fully expanded it touches anything hard. in further reading i found that its believed the green on it is from uv protection leading to the idea its from a higher light source area, it didnt slime at all except from intially debagging but has done amazing since then

Glad you came and got this one! It's a very nice specimen. Many of the problems that people have had with elegance corals in the past have been from both a lack of knowledge, bad collection/transportation/holding practices, and a little known virus that spread through many Aussie and some indo specimens. All of the Elegance corals that I have been bringing in over the last year or so have been holding up incredibly well. The color has been way better in general and if taken care of correctly, I haven't seen any mortality out of the norm in comparison with any other LPS coral. They really are pretty easy to keep if given the correct care.

lol my clowns are so random. They host just about everything in my tank (usually between my elegance' date=' large toadstool, and sometimes Wellso's). That's what I get for not giving them an anenome (laugh)[/quote']

Ahahah yeah my single maroon has started to belly up my hammer every so often takes off shorty though after. Clowns are weird mang lol