Fish lip swollen?

SteveHash-fish20

Alright so I've had this damsel for a bit and he's been through a couple cycles as he helped cycle my ten, buddies tank, and now my biocube, but I took him about about 3 days ago and kind of restrained him Inna 5gal bucket.. (I know its cruel to th fish) but th reason I took him out is his lips are swollen and red? Also he has a black spot on the middle of his body he hasn't been eating but seems to be acting normal. The spot isn't getting worse, and his lips aren't getting better. What should I do... And has anybody else experienced anything like this..

Please help as I do not want to add any fish to my system until I figure this problem out.

It could be from going through the cycling proccess. It is really hard on any fish to be exposed to all those toxic chemicals. Damsels are usually hardy enough to survive but that dosen't mean they are unharmed :(

I would put him in a cycled tank and let him recover.

A better way to cycle is to take a raw shrimp from the grocery store and put it in to your uncycled tank. Let it rot for a couple days. This will put amonia in the water and kick start your cycle process without putting a living creature though what I can only imagine is fishy hell. If you don't want to use the shrimp or you need to boost your cycle you can sprinkle a little fish food in every few days. As the food rots it will do the same thing.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or rude but there are better ways to do a cycle without harming a fishy friend.

Yeah I know, just he's done so well. And the reason I started off that way is honestly what I got told from a LFS to do. At that time I was young minded in the hobby lol, I wouldn't do it again as it is cruel. But I just was going to do it this time as he's survived a number of times before, and I did, he's in my 10g now hopefully leafy doesn't get him (scary)

Yeah I know' date=' just he's done so well. And the reason I started off that way is honestly what I got told from a LFS to do. At that time I was young minded in the hobby lol, I wouldn't do it again as it is cruel. But I just was going to do it this time as he's survived a number of times before, and I did, he's in my 10g now hopefully leafy doesn't get him (scary)[/quote']

Good to hear, unless ofcourse Leafy gets him that is LOL. I guess you wouldn't have to worrie about his lips then DOH!