Need some Ideas

Jeramy

Here is my delima. My calcium runs in the mid to high 500's my test kits are red sea and dont go that high when I have tested it with api I have had readings as high as 660. I dont have a api mag test kit but it seems to run about1600 ish. My red sea mag test caps out at 1600 and it is right about to change color when I get there . I know both of those are extremly high numbers. I dont dose for either one just do weekly water changes of 15% with kent reef salt. The other factor is my alk I do buffer for witha powder buffer that has stabalized my ph and will get my alk up to 9 but it quickly drops down to 7 and stays at 7. I am more concerned with the swings in my alk then weather it is at 7 or9. I am looking for a way to stabalize a higher alk with out adding any more calcium to the system. I cant afford a calcium reactor nor do I think it would be the right answer because it would also increase my calcium levels which are to high by far already. Half the corals in my 31 gallon sytem are either LPS or SPS which do Seem to be growing at a steady clip. Maybe I need a clam to suck down my calcium and balance things out better. Not sure what would be keeping my levels so high with out being able to get my alk up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks a bunch =)

BRS 2 part system (you can just dose ALK if you need to) and once you get the ALK stable the other #'s will drop. If the ALK isn't stable than the corals can't make use of the calcium in the tank so it just sits there and gets higher every time you do a WC. I used the kent KH buffer when I first started and It's just not enough. Your LPS?SPS stock list must be getting bigger?? They will zap the ALK out of your tank quicker than blinking once you get a good population of them going.

Ok so I have been dosing one part of a two part alk and cal mix from kent their a and b formula. I have been putting 4 tsp a day which is about 20ml 4 times the recomended dose. My alk is still hanging out in the 7s although it is slowly creeping up closer to 8. but for the first time in a year my calcium has been under 500. it tested 450. I may need to start doing both parts of the two par t system soon =) Thanks for all the help =) next group buy I will pick up the BRS two part system for use after my kent stuff runs out =)