What would the benefits be.....

Kimberlee

I read something in a reef book a while ago that suggested sps corals in the wild did better, because they received some fresh salt water on a daily biases. Well I got to thinking would there be any benefit to doing a daily WC? Obviously not the size of the WC I do weekly, which is 5gal on a 40B, but maybe something like 2gals a day or just 1. How would this effect dosing and would there be a need to dose anymore?

There are a few peeps on here that do automated daily water changes-Frank was one of them, I thought I read OX was another.

To much automation scares me- **** happens

Its a great idea like MVP said it'll kep the trace elements from being depleted as they can depending on frequencyof water changas.

Are you going to start a new thread?

You can use dosing pumps to do the Auto Water change, I have the LitermeterIII which you can set to pump out and back in (from a salt water barrel) as many gallons per day you like, I usually do three gallons, sometimes more. I don't run it in the winter since my salt water is outside and I don't keep it full when it gets to cold, I'll start it up in a few months

You can use dosing pumps to do the Auto Water change' date=' I have the LitermeterIII which you can set to pump out and back in (from a salt water barrel) as many gallons per day you like, I usually do three gallons, sometimes more. I don't run it in the winter since my salt water is outside and I don't keep it full when it gets to cold, I'll start it up in a few months[/quote']

I like this idea, nice and easy + kind of lazy. I'll do it the hard way for now, but I'm defiantly going w/ the dosing pump latter down the road. Do you have to do a lot of dosing, or does this constant WC keep everything good?

There are a few peeps on here that do automated daily water changes-Frank was one of them, I thought I read OX was another.

To much automation scares me- **** happens

Its a great idea like MVP said it'll kep the trace elements from being depleted as they can depending on frequencyof water changas.

Are you going to start a new thread?

Should I start a new ! or just keep this 1 going. It seems water chemistry is where this goes? I'll post pics of the sps coral I have tonight and then do weekly updates along w/ test results. Although ALK will have to wait till my new test gets here, I ran out and am waiting on the mail.

Okay so here we go. Pics taken today refer to post date.

Full tank shot

017-5.jpg

Birds nests

ORA green BN

003-7.jpg

Birds of paradise

024-3.jpg

Unsure of what this 1 is

007-7.jpg

Monti's

Idaho grape

041-2.jpg

Green w/ purple rim (new too tank)

004-10.jpg

Super Man

031-2.jpg

Unknown

026-1.jpg

Acro

010-6.jpg

Blue German Digi (not so blue)

008-6.jpg

And I think chalice's are LPS by=ut I'm including them anyway

013-6.jpg

012-3.jpg

Hopefully my pic taking skills will improve along w/ the corals.

Did some testing here it is

MAG 1450

CAL 480

PH morning 8.2 Evening 8.4

2 days ago before I ran out of KH test it was 8

I'll do all test again in the morning

Sounds logical. But so expensive :o 1 gallon a day 365 gallons a year. Imagine 5 gallons a day. 1825 gallons. About 550 dollars a year in synthetic salt :P My wife would murder me lol. If you can would totally do that. I would do 2-3 a day and 5 a week on a 40 breeder if I had the money. I'm sure the fresh water is like a nice breath of fresh air :D

Sounds logical. But so expensive :o 1 gallon a day 365 gallons a year. Imagine 5 gallons a day. 1825 gallons. About 550 dollars a year in synthetic salt :P My wife would murder me lol. If you can would totally do that. I would do 2-3 a day and 5 a week on a 40 breeder if I had the money. I'm sure the fresh water is like a nice breath of fresh air :D

But if you figure in that your probably cutting out supplements and untimely coral deaths there is savings right there. Also Kent is a 240gal bucket I go threw 1 every 4 months doing big WC and emergency WC, when I feel like somethings not right. This might help me cut back on the salt.

But if you figure in that your probably cutting out supplements and untimely coral deaths there is savings right there. Also Kent is a 240gal bucket I go threw 1 every 4 months doing big WC and emergency WC' date=' when I feel like somethings not right. This might help me cut back on the salt.[/quote']

The buckets of Kent I get are 200 gallon buckets

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Update

Like I said I can be really bad about testing once I feel okay w/ constant results. Here is the testing I did last week though. I discover a couple tests needed to be replaced.

2/26

PH (morning) 8.2

Cal 460

Amn 0.25'

Nitrates 5

Phosphates undetectable

2/27

Cal 460

SG 1.026

KH 12

2/28

Cal 450

KH 11.5

Amn 0.10

Nitrates 0

Mag 1450

2/29

KH 11

Cal 450

3/1

KH 10.5

Cal 4450

3/2

Kh 10.5

Cal 450

I did add a new skimmer, but that was just about 3 days ago. Since I've been doing the daily WC I have noticed the sps corals look healthier, and a couple that had browned on me are starting to regain color.Such as the German blue digita that I got from emerald, it showing blue at the base and the tips. I'll update the pics after dinner

Archived