Zoanthid name game - around and around it goes

impur

Just a little story that corresponds with the zoa name game thats been happening for several years.

Back in 04 I was on my 2nd tank, a 29gal, and REALLY starting to get into zoas. I REALLY wanted eagle eye zoas, I mean i REALLY REALLY wanted them. So i bought a rock of them online, and it turned out not to be eagle eyes. After searching and searching I found someone in portland with a small rock of them, so i drove up to snag em ASAP. Now in his tank they looked just like eagle eyes, but after a few weeks in my tank they looked like this

P8270353.jpg

No biggie, I was liking the look of them and kind of over my eagle eye craze so i kept growing them.

Then the name game started. I sat by and watched zoas I had previously bought for less than $1 a polyp get a name and all of the sudden become $20 per polyp. Well you all know where it has gone from there. But I never saw my "eagle eye" zoas get a name. In fact I noticed I never saw them anywhere, ever. The colony went thru ups and downs for me, they are very finicky, but I got them grown out to 40+ polyps. Then I decided to go ahead and stick a name on them. Keep in mine i have NEVER sold a single one of these polyps, i was doing this for fun. So I dubbed them impurfects!

http://zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=4710

Well fast forward to yesterday, I was at reef2reef.com putting my red hornets up for sale and lo and behold a guy is selling impurfects!!! He is calling them Super Sayian zoas and selling them for $60 per polyp!!!!!

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/selling-forum-livestock/73264-super-sayian-zoas-fs.html

I posted up my story over there about them, and it promptly got deleted. Its just funny how these things go full circle. I could make over $2000 selling these at $60 per polyp, but I won't. I paid $20 for 20-30 polyps.

Just shows you how ridiculous this name game has gotten.

4-26-07179.jpg

Yeah I saw that ad on reef2reef and I thought that while they were cool zoas I had seen similar around. It is crazy what some things go for per polyp. One vendor on there who will remain nameless gets wild colonies and calls them fancy names and is able to sell them for 80 to 100 dollars a polyp.

I'm not being critical. In fact I'm impressed with how in this economy they are able to get that much per polyp.

I do buy named zoas at times if I think I will get a return back but you have to find the right ones.

Just like any other hobby, you will get people that will pay anything for a name brand. I have been guilty of it myself but fortunately I have managed to budget my reefing and working at the premium aquarium also helps keep costs down.

I like the name impurfects much better than super sayan yadda yaddas.

Yeah I saw that ad on reef2reef and I thought that while they were cool zoas I had seen similar around. It is crazy what some things go for per polyp. One vendor on there who will remain nameless gets wild colonies and calls them fancy names and is able to sell them for 80 to 100 dollars a polyp.

I'm not being critical. In fact I'm impressed with how in this economy they are able to get that much per polyp.

I do buy named zoas at times if I think I will get a return back but you have to find the right ones.

Hmmmm.... I wonder who you're talking about? I bet they are super sexy morphs though. rofl

This is just as bad as the alleged melting deep water Japanese zoos that everyone was going ga ga over a couple of years ago. My rule of thumb has been to ignore the names and just get cool looking ones. I am still a huge fan of any zoos that are orange.

No I don't know where he got them.

Then how do you know you have the same thing. I kindda thought the while point with names was that you know the lineage. For example I have a small frag of OME so I know it came from issacs colony and so does everyone around the world who has a piece of that coral. If you just think a coral looks like another that doesnt mean you can call it by the same name. If you were to sell your zoas as super Sanans for 2 grand it would be totally dishonest. However if you can get people to pay 60 or even a hundred a polyp for your impurfects then all the more power to you. If you have a really really nice zoa and awsome pics of them in multiple peoples tanks plus great name for them, then people will Gladly pay you way more then they are worth. ;) oh ya if you can get tyree to promote them it wouldn't hurt... "Tyree impurfects" :) :) :)

My eyes tell me they are the same thing. I don't care about lineage, thats not what this is about its just a little story plain and simple. Nobody is mad, nobody is upset, nobody (well at least not me) is ripping people off. I don't want to sell them for $60pp or $100pp. I'm going to give some away for free though.

My eyes tell me they are the same thing. I don't care about lineage' date=' thats not what this is about its just a little story plain and simple. Nobody is mad, nobody is upset, nobody (well at least not me) is ripping people off. I don't want to sell them for $60pp or $100pp. I'm going to give some away for free though.[/quote']

Pick me, pick me(clap)

My eyes tell me they are the same thing. I don't care about lineage' date=' thats not what this is about its just a little story plain and simple. Nobody is mad, nobody is upset, nobody (well at least not me) is ripping people off. I don't want to sell them for $60pp or $100pp. I'm going to give some away for free though.[/quote']

I know you said you wouldn't sell them for 2k, but I am still confused as to why you would say that you could?

I guess I miss understood your post, it seemed at first that you were saying that you could sell yours as super saiyans for x amount. I am now thinking you just meant you could sell them as impurfects for x amount? Anyways I think your point I just that zoas are overpriced, which I agree with.

Hmmmm it was just a story I thought amusing. A common zoa i was really after had morphed, and obviously someone else had a similar result or else found them in a similar state. With this name game, now they are apparently one of the most expensive corals in my tank. And i wouldn't pay anywhere near what they are going for. Just pointing out how ridiculous this naming thing has become.

It wasn't really about haha i can sell these for so much money post or anything like that. Heck if you ever come by my place sometime i'll give you a frag. Its not about selling them at all to me.

Archived