Best foods for feeding?

J-Dog

Does anyone have an opinion on what the best foods are for fish? I know it depends on what types of fish you have, but in general, what would be a good combination? I am using frozen mysis and flakes, so should be adding anything else to this combo, or maybe replacing flakes with something else? Everyday is a learning experience (clap)

What are Rod's food and Reefit's food? Are these homemade foods or is that there official name? Are they mixtures of many types of food? Can u guys give me more details? Thanks

Rod's food is an actual company that makes the food. Reefit's food is made by Reefit(Robert) on the boards here. He is co-owner of Ocean in a box. If you go searching for some threads about a year ago he and I made a big batch here at my house but thankfully he now owns Ocean in a box and can either make it at his house or his shop as the wife didn't like the smell of the food...LOL

I have a little bit of everything, Rod's Food, Brine Shrimp, PEMysis, Flake food always mixing it up for a variety. Upscales carries them all and more, they are open tomorrow, check it out pretty close to OC

I have a little bit of everything' date=' Rod's Food, Brine Shrimp, PEMysis, Flake food always mixing it up for a variety. Upscales carries them all and more, they are open tomorrow, check it out pretty close to OC[/quote']

So you are saying that u feed something different everyday? Is it better to have a wide variety of foods or does that matter?

I buy the frozen foods in sheets and then cut it into small pieces and keep all those in a container then pick two or so each feeding, actually forgot a few, Blood worms, Nori. It depends on what you have in your tank, Tangs can graze and like Nori but also eat the meaty foods, angels, Clowns, Gobies plus all my Invertebrates, anemones, Serpent Stars, Shrimp I assume benefit from a mix of different foods.

I do feed a variety of food and agree with Smann, Gabe, and finch. Variety is best and key. If I had to only pick one food though I would choose Rod's food. I also feed New life spectrum pellets, cyclopeeze, PE Mysis, another pellet food I can't think of right now, reef nutrition arctic pods, and Nori. I rotate my algae and feed purple, red, and green. I try to hang it twice a week and just rotate through the colors. I also think feeding often helps a lot. I try to feed 2 small amounts per day. Just be careful not to overfeed. It's very easy to do. I know I feed too much every time I feed, but I have 0 algae and my fish are fat and happy. I figure since they are in captivity the least I can do is make sure water quality is perfect and feed them the best I can. I would make my own food as well if my wife would allow it, but she would absolutely freak if I made the house smell like a fish market. So I spend the extra money and buy the best foods I know of.

On another note, how would I know if I am overfeeding? I've heard alot of people say to feed everyday, but I also hear alot about not overfeeding. How do you feed often, but not overfeed?

You want to feed enough that the fish are healthy. I usually feed enough that I can see all the fish getting their share for a minute or two and that most of the food is consumed in that time. Leaving some for the hermit grabs is ok. But overfeeding would be to the point that water parameters are off like high Nitrates,phosphates and unwanted algae growth. feeding every other day is fine, as long as your fish stay healthy.

On another note' date=' how would I know if I am overfeeding? I've heard alot of people say to feed everyday, but I also hear alot about not overfeeding. How do you feed often, but not overfeed?[/quote']

I think a lot of this depends on your set up, and how much of a bio load it can handle. For example if you had a very basic setup with little to no filtration, then you would have to feed very little. If your system is large with great filtration (huge protien skimmer ect.) then you could feed much more. A lot also depends on how much live rock/live sand you have as well as your CUC. Basically it all depends on your individual setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived