New guy :)

Thedude657

I just started reading up on saltwater tanks and its overwhelming!!! I would love it if somebody could give me advice on how to get started or some good books or even mentor me on this stuff would be great. Im looking at buying a 75g and a starting a reef. I know its not recommended for a beginner but I wont be happy with a fish only tank if that makes sense.

-Jim-

I think it's fine to start a reef for a beginner just doing what you are doing is key which is reading first. Also be aware there are many opinions in this hobby. I think a good starter book is

The New Marine Aquarium by Paletta its' basic information and easy to read. Some of the information is outdated in that canister filters are not used as much now.

A 75 gallon tank is a good start. You can usually find people breaking down their systems and can get a really good deal on here.

The people in this forum are also a great resource too. Don't be afraid to post up your pictures. Some of the people on here have been doing this for 20 + years.

Welcome to the club!

Welcome. Here is a website to check out listed at the below. I don't really buy anything from them. Their prices are a little high and I like to do business with local shops. But they do a good job putting reef and non-reef into different sections. They also have a lot of info on types of coral and lighting conditions for each type.

Also check out the classified forum somebody here may have some books for sale or even free.

liveaquaria.com

Welcome! A book that really helped me was Bob Fenner's The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. Feel free to ask questions on here, lots of people will help. It sounds like you already have a good start by joining this forum and reading books.

Link to the book: http://www.amazon.com/Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist-Commonsense-Professional/dp/1890087998/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1/189-3337612-5329014

The people on this forum seem to really care about it's members so you will get fast responses. Emerald525 and Mitchell both recommended great books. I read both of them cover to cover more than once. The biggest thing I would say which you seem to be doing already which is good is research. Do a ton of research! You can never know too much in this hobby. Plus research will save you a lot of time and money. I also went to a lot of reef sites and read all the stickies. This is where you get a lot of good info not just opinions of people at may or may not know what they are talking about. I myself never had a tank of any kind and did over 2 years of research before I finally set up my 120 full reef system. I can tell you it is full of coral of every kind and everything is doing very well. Just take your time buy used equipment when you can to save money and don't forget the research. Lol. Don't be afraid to ever ask questions, as dumb as you may think they are, because every one of us have been in the same position.

Hey there neighbor, Renton WA here! Not too many people up our way on this forum but I find it The Best Group I have ever had the pleasure to interact with. We have some awesome resources in our area, my fav and a sponsor here is Barrier Reef Aquarium here in Renton, their staff are very knowledgeable and they will do their best not to let you do anything stupid LOL. Easy drive from Auburn, they are right at exit 7 on the 405.

I am new to the hobby as well, less than 6 months. I read, research and read some more. I have asked a number of questions here on the forum and they are answered so fast!

Welcome to the hobby and the forums!!

Nancy

I wanted to say keep an eye on Craigslist here in the Seattle area, there are always some great tank deals. Both of my current tanks

50g acrylic with build in overflow and sump ($125), stand and a bunch of great stuff, and the 75g Oceanic half round (currently in storage) with a nice stand and a few accessories ($200) were CL finds. I have gotten some nice corals and things too.

I started with 35gallon that did not have a built in overflow. I did not start with a sump. I had all manner of crap hanging off the back of the tank and I hated the look and noise of it. I also dealt with a lot of salt creep and spray. Now with the internal overflow and a sump all the plumbing, skimmer and such are down low inside the stand. It is much quieter and more visually appealing to me. But that is just my opinion.

You can purchase and overflow box that hangs on the back of the tank if you want to use a sump and don't have a built in one, but in my opinion, I would look for a tank that has one built in.

welcome to the site you might want to get out and see some setup inperson before you choice witch way work for you, reading is good but seeing it and talking to the person on what pros and cons to each setup you will then decide what you want. remember not to rush it, we all have flooded our places at least one and kick are **** for doing somthing wrong.

welcome to the site you might want to get out and see some setup inperson before you choice witch way work for you' date=' reading is good but seeing it and talking to the person on what pros and cons to each setup you will then decide what you want. remember not to rush it, we all have flooded our places at least one and kick are **** for doing somthing wrong.[/quote']

Just this weekend I turned on the water for my RO/DI system (i have a diverter on my shower head), I had disconnected it from the filter and the tubing went swinging around with water going EVERYWHERE, i kept trying to catch the tubing....then realized turning off the water would be a bit easier....

I'm also up in the Seattle area - Poulsbo - and second the comment that this is one of the best communities I've found. Very informative, knowledgeable and always willing to help. Enough so that not only do I make this one of my daily forum reads, but have also gone down to the Portland area multiple times now for purchases and to visit their LFS.

Archived