Water change

kknight

Some good advice up above. Remember to turn off the pumps when you are doing the water change. It sounds simple but I think most of us has forgotten to do that at least once. (laugh).

Also don't step away from the water change. Sure it can be boring to wait for 20 gallons but it is easy to get distracted and then you either overdrain or overfill your tank.

+1 for using a pump with a hose to put the water in. I use a siphon to remove the water.

Make sure the hose is secure. Some people even use clips. I have had the hose come out of the bucket and make a mess. Not fun.

Towels around the area are also a good idea.

When removing the water it's also a good idea to go around and suction out any detrititus you see on the rocks and around the sandbed (just watch out for snails that you accidentally suction up and plug your hose LOL)

Depending on your tank turning the lights out may be necessary as some of your corals higher up in the tank may actually be exposed to air and more heat from the lights. I find my zoas and softies and even sps are exposed to air and do fine and I just try to do the water change as quickly as possible.

I hope that helps.

Thank you all the the great advice. Our 1st water change was due to an emergency. I was changing the light in the front bathroom so turned off the elec. was working on the light and needed a tool so was walking by the fish tank into a pool of ........ummmmmmmmmmmm water , it was on the same breaker. the sub overflowed onto my hardwood floor. I got all the towel I have and went to get a mop that oh by the way I do not own. I called my husband that works at Safeway to get home and bring a mop. So we decided now would be a good time to do a water change. It was such a comity act we just had to laugh. Also the light I have did not have the correct mounting bracket , so have no light in the bath. A lesson learned. If I need to turn off elec. to fish tank get a extension cord to different outlet.....:)

Thank you all the the great advice. Our 1st water change was due to an emergency. I was changing the light in the front bathroom so turned off the elec. was working on the light and needed a tool so was walking by the fish tank into a pool of ........ummmmmmmmmmmm water ' date=' it was on the same breaker. the sub overflowed onto my hardwood floor. I got all the towel I have and went to get a mop that oh by the way I do not own. I called my husband that works at Safeway to get home and bring a mop. So we decided now would be a good time to do a water change. It was such a comity act we just had to laugh. Also the light I have did not have the correct mounting bracket , so have no light in the bath. A lesson learned. If I need to turn off elec. to fish tank get a extension cord to different outlet.....:)[/quote']

I would be worried about when the power goes out. Maybe you should raise your overflows, so they don't drain so much or get a sump that holds more water.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yep: we need to contact tru vue and get some back up pulg valves or what every they have. If we are not home and the power goes out we have a big problem. Was a blessing it happened while I was at home and now know there is a problem.

Yes a pic would help. Im sure that your tank just back siphoned from the return line. To stop this you need to make some way for air to get in the line. I have always drilled a 1/8" hole below the water line(when tank is running) and this will allow air to get into the line when the water drops below this point, thus causing it to break siphon. Its always good to check on this hole to make sure it is clean and free of build up. Please don't do this without posting a pic of your setup first just to make sure that will solve the problem.

Yes a pic would help. Im sure that your tank just back siphoned from the return line. To stop this you need to make some way for air to get in the line. I have always drilled a 1/8" hole below the water line(when tank is running) and this will allow air to get into the line when the water drops below this point, thus causing it to break siphon. Its always good to check on this hole to make sure it is clean and free of build up. Please don't do this without posting a pic of your setup first just to make sure that will solve the problem.[/QU

Thank you . The return line is too far down in the tank so we just need to raise it. Thank you for the info and saving my floor in case the power goes out when we are not home. Peterock figured it out

Archived