Freshwater Aquariums Anyone???

ShaunMonahan

OKOKOK love em.

So, what is the NO4 for?(Ammonium?)

NH4 = Ammonia, yes. Same as Saltwater for maintaining at 0.

What makes one planted tank look so much nicer than another one? I have seen some real POS tanks, but now I am seeing some amazing things...i dont want a POS tank, nor do i want to waste 15 years of my life trying to figure them out...like i did with reefs....give me the secret dangit!

LOL, POS... I like that! And, me either. The key is good light, correct water chemistry, a good substrate for the plants(ADA, Seachem) and CO2.

It's like keeping a reef but less complicated and definitely more forgiving.

I was talking with Upscales Travis and he is contemplating axing the reptiles and adding some FW planted tanks instead...Man' date=' I would love to see him do a show tank with FW...i bet it wouldn't be a POS:)[/quote']

I have been at his ear to do this too. Maybe this thread will help ;)

My girlfriend loves planted fresh water tanks we will be plumbing my 55 corner and her standard 55 together once I get rid of all my cichlids. Love to see that people have amazing reef and fresh tanks. I just never did planted fresh water cause I did not want to mess with co2 but now that I am doing it with my reactors in my reef should be no prob to figure out

Blasphemy here on the reef community:)

^^^^Agreed with that-

I thought people got into reefing after getting bored with FW and wanted something nice to look at-(laugh)That was my transition, Fresh water, brackish, african cichlids, saltwater and then Reefing.

No offense meant so dont take any, I just (myself) wanted something a little more brilliant/vibrant to look at and Discus was not going to do it

Besides I dont know how to frag a leaf

I like it' date=' but I'm just not convinced. Everything is just so green. I like the idea of a nano planted tank to start out. What type of lighting and filtration would Miles 12x12x12 cube require and how many fish can you keep in something that small?[/quote']

There are many reds, oranges and purples to be had from plants. So, it's a matter of choice of what you want your tank to look like- personal preference.

Miles tank would be awesome with about 30w of pc at 6,500k or 10,000k. This would be the light I would use

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B004MSM6QW/ref=dp_image_z_0?ie=UTF8&n=284507&s=kitchen

I cannot answer your open question regarding how many fish, sorry. It's no different than saltwater; depands on size, temperament, species, etc, etc... This is a loaded question I can't answer.

Here's the filter I would use for Miles tank:

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Turtle-Canister-Filter/dp/B0002DIRPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299038174&sr=8-1

...and some colorful plants to get the "green" myth squashed:

Ammaniagracilis3.jpg

Limnophilaaromatica.jpg

MyriophyllumtuberculatumERIK.jpg

PolygonumspSaoPauloSM.jpg

I thought people got into reefing after getting bored with FW and wanted something nice to look at-(laugh)That was my transition, Fresh water, brackish, african cichlids, saltwater and then Reefing........

........after that you have to go to a non-photosynthetic coldwater marine tank.

Its just the natural progression of things ;)

I'm tempted to just keep it honestly :D

Only reason I'm selling it is because I'm fairly certain I can get another one to replace it later on, and I need the money for a monster acrylic tank that measures 60"x24"x48"

I'm uploading a video of the tanks so people can better see what theses systems have to offer.

Yes, that was my shrimp post on CL. Let me know if you want any shrimp...

Post some pics of wife's tank, I'd love to see it!

Here are a couple of pics....Its a work in progress

P1000970.jpg

P1000968.jpg

Shrimp

P1000982.jpg

Mainly Community Fish like Rasboras, Swords, Platies, ect...Its fairly newly setup, so its not exactly how she wants it, but in time with aquascaping the plants and seeing what works and doesn't work, I think it has potential to be a pretty Amazon Planted Tank....

That's a cool tank and I have thought about doing one as a FW planted tank too. What mh bulb are you using?

We did have a 250w Sunpod on it, and it was TOO much, MASSIVE algea like crazy...it was INSANE! so we replaced the Sunpod with an Orbit which is a Power Compact fixture, and so far the algae issue has gone away and the plants still are doing very well, and the fixture itself looks idential to the Sunpod...fits on there very nicely.

I like the height of that tank. It would be cool to see some stemmed plants grow from gravel to the surface.

Is the water discolored because of the drift wood, or is that the light?

Its the Driftwood, makes the water very tanic, she is trying to give it that Blackwater Amazon Rainforest look....in time the tanic from the driftwood will lighten up, you should have seen it when we first set it up, when we did partials it was like draining dark tea from the tank...Some people don't like the blackwater tanic look, but I think it adds to the natural look of what it really would be like if you snorkeled in some back estuary of the Amazon....