4 days away!!!!

impur

The Ducks completely shut down Cam' date=' just had too many mistakes to overcome.[/quote']

Not to try and get a debate going on here but were we all watching the same game????

Shut Cam down??? didn't he have 265 total yards?? And he got the final drive to setup a field goal.

I'm not into the whole college bowl thing so I didn't care who won (but being local I was shooting for Oregon).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to try and get a debate going on here but were we all watching the same game????

Shut Cam down??? didn't he have 265 total yards?? And he got the final drive to setup a field goal.

I'm not into the whole college bowl thing so I didn't care who won (but being local I was shooting for Oregon).

I guess not. Cam Newton didn't win this game, Nick Fairley and Michael Dyer did. You'll have to go look up his season stats and compare them to know.

The most telling thing to me was the play calling in the 1st quarter. Chip gave up running the ball even before the game started, he just handed that part of our game to Auburn. Then when he realized maybe we can run against them, its 5min into the 3rd quarter and too late to establish that part of your game. Got out coached a 2nd year in a row......

Not to disagree with you Miles but they did try to run the ball somewhat. They ran it like 30 times but the problem is they only got 2.3 yds a carry and like 75 total.

I think they should have given up on running it between the tackles......... but not to the outside, using pitches and sweeps.

Not to disagree with you Miles but they did try to run the ball somewhat. They ran it like 30 times but the problem is they only got 2.3 yds a carry and like 75 total.

I think they should have given up on running it between the tackles......... but not to the outside, using pitches and sweeps.

We ran 32 rushing plays. We averaged 50 per game this year. 50!

We averaged 30 passing attempts this year, and ran 41 passing plays in this game.

LMJ got 10 less touches than he averaged this year.

CK game planned it that way. He thought we could take advantage of their secondary. But in doing so he got away from what got Oregon to this game - running the ball and getting LMJ his touches.

We ran 32 rushing plays. We averaged 50 per game this year. 50!

We averaged 30 passing attempts this year, and ran 41 passing plays in this game.

LMJ got 10 less touches than he averaged this year.

CK game planned it that way. He thought we could take advantage of their secondary. But in doing so he got away from what got Oregon to this game - running the ball and getting LMJ his touches.

If you average less per running play you will have fewer plays overall since you will be punting the ball away more often rather than sustaining drives. Oregon ran into an O line that was as big as they had seen all season BUT Auburn's O line didn't wear down as fast or make too many stupid mistakes as the Duck's previous opponents.

On the other side of the ball Auburn's D line was better than Oregon saw all season AND they were well conditioned AND deep enough to put the hurt on the big pigs up front. The Ducks normal wear-them-down-running attack in order to setup the big play was pretty much neutralized by a strong defense that made most of their tackles. I think the pressure really got to Thomas at times - he easily could have had 3 or 4 more INTs.

On the coaching side west coast fans were all too eager to write off Gene Chizik ignoring the fact this guy has an incredible football coaching pedigree. He's been doing it a long time and studied some of the best (Dungy and Kiffin) and is a defense first kind of guy. I personally think Kelly took far too many chances for the defense they were facing and should settled for FGs instead of rolling the dice on 4th and goal. Long layoffs usually mean strong defensive play because of the additional time to study and practice against the opposing offensive scheme. For the second year Oregon ignored this conventional wisdom and thought their offense could overpower the opponent and I think it hurt them again. It will be really interesting to see if Kelly changes his approach just slightly in the future with these last two bowl experiences under his belt.

This is the first time I have been able to get in here and comment on this thread. I being from Alabama, love SEC football. I always have and always will. The PAC 10 is an extremely top heavy conference with 2 of the best teams in the country........Oregon and Stanford. The rest of the teams, compared to the rest of the nation are at best Mediocre or have been since I have been in the northwest. When Stanford played Oregon, I still believe Stanford was the better team on the field in all aspects of the game except for one part and that was conditioning. The Ducks are an amazing team when it comes to conditioning. Their bigger guys are probably in better shape than most of the nations skilled players. I tip my hat to Chip Kelly for his conditioning program.

What the Ducks had not seen all year was a physically larger team who's conditioning program is just as good as theirs. They had not faced a team with similar athletic abilities. Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon State (sorry beaver fans) lacked the conditioning it took to even step on the field with Oregon as did Stanford. Auburn had this and they showed it. I really got a laugh when the announcers were already playing up Oregon's conditioning at the end of the first quarter talking about how gassed Auburn's defense looked. They really didn't look that warn down to me and I'll bet you Kenyon Barner and LaMichael James would tell you the same thing.

I will say though, the Ducks are in a League of their own out here in the Pac 10 and I feel that the top 2 teams in the country played for the national title on monday night and honestly I can't say that the best team won because it could have gone either way. Both teams looked great defensively and I'm proud of the ducks for showing some D just as much as I am Auburn being able to stuff LaMichael all night.

By the way Miles, they only had 30 runs because they didn't run as many plays. Chip Kelly called a horrible game. I'm sure he has reviewed game film and saw how bad Auburn's pass D is. Why wouldn't he attack that? Jeff Mahel (or however you spell it) is one of the, in my opinion, best receivers in the country as DT is one of the better QB's. Especially out of the pocket. It wasn't the players that lost the game, it was definatelly coaching.