New hobby has just begun!

Googs

Hello,

My name is Matt. Over the weekend I started cycling my first saltwater tank. It is an aquapod 24G with the stock PC lighting, about 20lbs of crushed coral and 25lbs+ of live rock. Let the addiction begin! (clap)

Matt

...don't know how to rotate the picture considering this is my first post.

Edit: thanks for the tip about pictures. Photobucket is pretty simple!

post-6420-141867783574_thumb.jpg

rotate your picture before you post it using your computer. if your in windows you can easily rotate it using the image viewing program that comes with windows.

Congrats on the new addiction. I recommend putting at least another power head in there for flow and even upgrading the circ pump from the stock one.

Congrats and welcome to the forum. you might want to consider getting rid of the crushed coral (did someone already mention this). It's a nitrate factory as it traps a lot of decaying food and doesn't allow the same bacterial colonization as sand. Using sand is the standard now, it's readily available and you can get a small amount of live sand to seed yours. It might be easier to transition out now as you're still setting things up and your tank hasn't cycled. Just a suggestion.

Welcome and enjoy - it's an addictive hobby.

rotate your picture before you post it using your computer. if your in windows you can easily rotate it using the image viewing program that comes with windows.

Congrats on the new addiction. I recommend putting at least another power head in there for flow and even upgrading the circ pump from the stock one.

this was one of my old tanks and i put a maxi jet 1200 in there

I'm digging the flow from the maxi jet that dee77 put in there. It's creating a whirlpool affect and causing a nice shimmering even with the PC bulbs. Another powerhead is in the works. Regarding the crushed coral...my girlfriend's 15G cube has crushed and we have had no issues with any excessive buildups. All nitrite testing comes up 0 and her tank has been running since January/February. But definitely when I go bigger...and it seems inevitable, a #1 or #2 sand for sure.

Thanks for the welcome all!

I'm digging the flow from the maxi jet that dee77 put in there. It's creating a whirlpool affect and causing a nice shimmering even with the PC bulbs. Another powerhead is in the works. Regarding the crushed coral...my girlfriend's 15G cube has crushed and we have had no issues with any excessive buildups. All nitrite testing comes up 0 and her tank has been running since January/February. But definitely when I go bigger...and it seems inevitable, a #1 or #2 sand for sure.

Thanks for the welcome all!

Good deal. Flow is definitely key to reefing. you can have too little or to much.

I found my biocube had to little flow even with an upgraded pump and one power head, so i added another power head and its balanced out nice now. I also run crushed coral in my tanks or a mix of #1,2 and crushed. I like the effect it has a very natural look to it that way. plus with a good cleanup crew i never have problems with detritus buildup and i implement this in my 30g all the way up to my 120g and will do so on my 500 i'm putting together.

The live rock should be enough to start the cycle. It was from an established tank that just got taken down. I'm going to wait a couple of days and then test to see if there is any ammonia present. If not maybe I'll add a shrimp or something.

The live rock should be enough to start the cycle. It was from an established tank that just got taken down. I'm going to wait a couple of days and then test to see if there is any ammonia present. If not maybe I'll add a shrimp or something.

start with hermits & snails. shrimp are expensive and also much more prone to water condition problems affecting their health.

First question as a newbie...when should I do my first water change? And how much water should I change? Or is it completely parameter based...

I would start changing the water 2-3 weeks after livestock introduction. Unless your tests are showing high levels of nitrates or other toxins in your tank then i would do small water changes around 5-10% until those levels come down. If you introduce small amounts of livestock slowly then you really don't need to change the water for a good month until something warrants it such as nitrates. once your bio load and coral population pick up then you need to take a systematic approach to your maintenance.

By shrimp I meant dropping a raw shrimp in the tank to start the ammonia cycle. I know how much those little live shrimp, well at least peppermint shrimp cost! Ugh, molt once then the maroon clown kill them while they are soft. Money pit! No maroons for my tank, as pretty as they are...

On a side note I had some Zoa hitchhikers on a piece of live rock I got...all open! Exciting...patience...patience....

• 1 month later...