Live Rock problem! Usable or not?

siskiou

Last week I ordered 30lbs of LR from and ebay seller.It was shipped Fedex and for some reason got stuck at pickup for two days (was supposed to leave on Monday morning, but didn't get going until Wednesday).

It arrived early Friday, and it's been in a tub with saltwater, a heater, a couple of power heads.

It didn't smell all that bad when it arrived (was "fully cured"), but it now has a distinct musty/moldy smell.

Is is unusable, or will further curing with frequent water changes take care of the smell?

It was sent insured and I could file a claim with Fedex, I guess.

-Susanne

Have you tested for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? If it smells, it's because of the dead organisms on it. Is the water clear or murkey? If it's murkey you deffinatly have to "cure" it again (or cycle it through), and I would add in some carbon to deactivate all of the slime and other stuff. This way you might have at least some good living organisms left. It's usable,... after some time.

Thanks for you opinions!

Water is clear and I did scrape off some dead sponges and macro algae.

It *looks* okay, though not much color left on it, but just has this musty smell to it.

I'm going to take some water in to be tested (I don't trust my own tests anymore, since they are several years old.

The ammonia dot thingie I put into the tub doesn't show ammonia).

I'll contact the seller (who is aware of the shipping dilemma) and will see what develops.

-Susanne

Have you tested for ammonia' date=' nitrites, and nitrates? [/quote']

I hunted down a new ammonia test kit and it's between 1 and 2ppm.

Nitrates are at about 40.

I don't have a nitrite test, but there must be some if I have ammo and trates.

I don't have an extra skimmer to put in the tub.

Should I pull the skimmer from the main tank for a few days or just do lots of water changes in the tub?

-Susanne

You want to get that ammonia down to 0.5 PPM (at least) then you'd be in the "safe" zone. Just do like 5 gallon WC's once a day. That way whatever is still alive on the rocks will have time to aclimate to the newer water. No need to pull the skimmer off.