125 gallon tank too much weight?

Gill

=-Not sure if this is the right place for this thread but here goes. I'm looking at a 125 gallon tank tomorrow and just curious if worries about warping the floor are valid, i guess the extreme would be going through the floor. My house is old 20s construction. I currently have a 55. I would never try a 300 but a 125 isn't really that bad, is it? My foundation could be pillar and post, this house is old! One story house so wouldn't go upstairs. Thanx for any input.

You should be ok with 125 as long as the stand is evenly placed on the floor (no wheels, legs, or blocks). Your floor should be post and beams with the 2x6 or 2x8 tongue and grove flooring run at a 45deg. of the house. The 2x might not be T&G though but should have something like 1/2 ply wood tieing all together.

What I would do is after you put the tank and stand up and get it "level". Then as you feel it with water check it 1/2 and 3/4 then full to see if anything changes. If you need to you can always go under the house with bottle jack and lift it and put a concrete pad and post under it. If it falls through before you get that far you had some bad floor (take out bad wood put in good wood)

A 125 isn't relay that heavy when its spread out over 6'. But a old house is always fun to deal with. You never know what someone has done with it over the years.

• Like 1

Assemble 1200 lbs of your pals in that spot....move around. Feel any motion?? Any creaks or groans??? Bounce up and down on the balls of your feet. Still no movement??? Should be good!!

Also you could put a partially full container of water down....watch for the water slosh when moving and bouncing around!

Also you could put a partially full container of water down....watch for the water slosh when moving and bouncing around!

I kinda like this idea. Get a couple cheep garbage cans and stick them in there full and do your jumping. Now you got new garbage cans or someplace to hold your water.

Ill post pics soon, i guess i should start a build thread. It is acrylic, tru vu. When i bought it he said it had been buffed at seahorse. I could tell it still had scratches when i first saw it, but now that i look closer it has a LOT, most will be less visible with water (i hope...). After buying it i don't really have the funds to have it buffed and buy all that salt i'm gonna need. If i don't have it buffed and wait to set it up ill probably regret it though ? Poor planning on my part :-( On a lighter note the stand and hood are beautiful!

Ill post pics soon' date=' i guess i should start a build thread. It is acrylic, tru vu. When i bought it he said it had been buffed at seahorse. I could tell it still had scratches when i first saw it, but now that i look closer it has a LOT, most will be less visible with water (i hope...). After buying it i don't really have the funds to have it buffed and buy all that salt i'm gonna need. If i don't have it buffed and wait to set it up ill probably regret it though ? Poor planning on my part :-( On a lighter note the stand and hood are beautiful![/quote']

If the stand and hood are that nice do your self a favor and take a little longer to set it up and get it buffed out. Miss Defiance's husband buffs tanks and does a great job for a fair price. it would be worth contacting him to at least see what it would cost. You'll be glad you did in the long run. If it is visible now without water/light hitting it I think it will be worse when there is a lot of light on it and algae has a chance to attach to the tiny scratches and start to grow.

PM me if you want his number, I've watched his work first hand and it turns out very nice.

• 1 month later...

I had the tank buffed it looks great!!! If any one needs a tank buffed Jeff is your man! Send me a pm if you need his info. I filled the tank and the floor is fine. I crawled under the house and found a main beam, then centered the tank over it. Thanks for all the help everyone. :-)

Check your foundation at the ends of that beam. Remember you just put a little more than half a ton of water on top of it. Over an extended period of time it could cause the foundation to sag if the weight isn't spread out enough. (I.E. The beam should be supported at several places to keep one spot from bearing the entire weight) It's probably fine but I've seen some older houses that had some pretty weird stuff going on underneath them. (It wasn't unusual to start with a small house and keep adding to it back then)

This beam has a support coming down from it about every 4 feet. I think it once was the outside foundation before they added on another 4.5 feet. It is wierd under there I found two boulders the size of voltswagons. I guess it was easier to bild over them then to trie and move them. I have a level on the tank and I check it constantly, so far so good.

This beam has a support coming down from it about every 4 feet. I think it once was the outside foundation before they added on another 4.5 feet. It is wierd under there I found two boulders the size of voltswagons. I guess it was easier to bild over them then to trie and move them. I have a level on the tank and I check it constantly' date=' so far so good.[/quote']LOL, I figured yours would be the one normal one.