Time for change

Mr S

The board has asked me to take over the Tanks for Teachers program. I am hoping that people read this and give me comments regarding what will fly and what won't. The program will still be the same as far as filling out an application for a tank. Once the club has given a tank to a teacher that is where we as a club seem to leave the teacher in a lurch. No follow up and no one specific they can talk to (although I have never seen bad advice given to people on this forum) My proposal is that once the tank is set up and cycled I would then have them come to my school or arrange to meet with me so that I can go over basic animal and tank husbandry. At this point I would take organisms from my tank system and judging by their lighting set up fill their tanks with a variety of organisms. I would then act as a source for any questions or concerns. There are some points that I would like to emphasize to the teachers and also have them as established ground rules. Please feel free to comment: (I have very thick skin)

1. All teachers would need to post pics on the tanks for teachers forum to show that it is set up and they are involved. (also I would like to think that people would like to see there donations in an actual tank) Yes, I am guilty of this.

2. If the teacher decides to no longer have the tank in their classroom they have a couple of choices. Either give the tank back or pass it of to another board approved teacher. (teachers are use to this!)

3. People on this forum will make the difference to this being a successful program. This is how I see their role.

Next time you clean up your tank save the frags, fish or whatever and contact me. I will have Miles (Impur) in Eugene, Bob (Lowman) in Portland and myself cover Salem, Corvallis and Albany

Any donation would be awesome. I could see the following donated:

salt, LR live or dry, any organisms, macro, old working equipment

I have a huge sump so I would cure LR. I can also handle any size fish but contact me ahead of time.

I know everyone has talked about how they would like to become more involved so this is the time. I do not feel good about taking money so if you feel the need buy something instead. I have been teaching for 31 years and do not see retirement in the picture. It is an instant rush to see kids excited about a tank in the class room. We can really make a difference in the classroom. Thanks for the support.

ps. I do like the idea that teachers get free membership and free entry to the GOC (my kids love this)

I really like the idea of teachers being required to show pictures of the tank. I also think a minimum of twice a year update would be great. I would be a lot more willing to donate to the program if I could see some results. Thank you for your efforts to help continue this program! (clap)

That was one of the frustrations I had. Never seeing the TFT setups. I have no idea how many tanks are actually setup. Roger, your the only one I have seen. Your really bad about pic's. Looking for some more. I do have a few ideas to help the program. Oh yea, congratulations and Happy New years

Yeah' date=' you would think I would have a decent camera at my disposal. I will borrow a camera from someone and start posting more pictures.[/quote']

I will take lots of pics at the meeting (March?), but I will see if I can get in there sooner.

Jay

Yeah, donate me a camera!!!! Jay you need to come over during lunch break. Take your lunch at 3 one of these days and you can come over. In some ways I don't think driving to Portland would be that big of deal. It shows a commitment. Also there is a saying about beggars can't be choosy. If I know I am getting something free I will even drive to Medford (Jody and Keith). My plan is to make everything quick and simple. In my line of work there are quite a few times when you get a great idea or notion and all of a sudden you get hit with road blocks. I would rather change them into speed bumps!

Yeah' date=' you would think I would have a decent camera at my disposal. I will borrow a camera from someone and start posting more pictures.[/quote']

I'm betting you have some students with camera phones that would take some decent shots. Maybe you can make it into a project for a student. Give a little extra credit?

Glad to hear you are taking the lead on this. I'm sure the other teachers will appreciate the help and guidance.

Guest cataphonic

Hi Roger,

I think this is great. Particularly the follow up and having a consistent contact person. That has actually been the trouble with our tank. A friend paid for it from Saltwater Fantaseas and for quite a while Patrick was helping me out with it. But he is a really great tank setter upper, but not necessarily the best teacher and so I had quite a few problems, dieoff etc the first year because I just didn't know what I was doing.

Really it's the follow up part of the program that I think will be the most valuable to me.

It sounds great if you want to follow up yourself with all the teachers, but if you start having more in the program it might be nice for each teacher to have their own support person so you don't get overloaded.

I'm glad to see that the TFT is getting a new boost of energy, because it does look like it's been pretty slow recently.

- Cat

Cat. I am hoping I can do alot of trouble shooting through the threads or pm's to me. I do come to Portland quite often and always do a school visit if necessary. I am so into tanks in the classroom at this point I don't see it as any inconvenience.