Tangs not eating....

tanktop74

I have two young blue hippo tangs. I have had them for 4 days. I did a very long acclumation. I have them in QT, with lights off and very quiet area. On the second day they ate great, third day ok... and last night didn't eat anything. On day two and last night night I also provided them with dry seaweed and it doesn't appear they ate any of it both times.

Any suggestions? Should I go out and get some Vitamins? I was looking at getting Kent Zoe... anyone know if it sold locally? I am in the sellwood area.

Thanks!!

Beth

Woody tests my water, he said it was perfect.

Lights are off most of the time, I turn them on about an hour before I try to feed them and then turn off about an hour after feeding. Otherwise they are left in a quiet room with the door shut. I peek in on them once in the morning, but they are always hiding under the rock, which I understand is normal.

QT is a 10 gal tank. I do have a piece of live rock in there... but I never see them come out from under the rock to do anything.

I will try leaving the light on longer and getting some live macro algae.

Do you think that two young tangs will do better in a big tank and other fish vs being in the QT tank? I mainly had them in there to get them nice and fat and have them grow a bit bigger before I put them in there with everyone else... not like I have a lot... 2 clowns and a flame angel with 2 fire shrimp and other inverts.

Thanks for all the good ideas!

If you put them in with the rest then do it in the evening and rearrange all of the rocks at the same time. Then turn the lights out so they all wake up to a new reef and are on the same level (so to speak). I've been doing this ever since I added my Purple Tang and so far they haven't done any more than a little chasing around. I.E. The tang will occasionally chase the clowns back to their anemone but nothing really aggressive.

UPDATE: 1 Tang is out and about!!

1 of my Tangs has been out and about most of the day(clap), the other still in hiding(scratch). They ate a little this am... I went and got them new food... brine shrimp with spirilina and got some macro algae from Rose City Aquarium today... Sorry Bob... couldn't make it all the way out to your shop today, thanks for the offer though! The one tang that is out and about loved the algae! Went nuts catching the bits that floated in the water!!

So I am hopeful that all will go well over the next few days!

I don't want to say anything bad but are the 2 hippos going into the 55g in you sig? They will need a bigger tank than that and not that to far in the future. They swim a lot and need lots of room especially if you have 2. I waited to get my hippo until I had a 120g tank. Have fun with them but watch to make sure they don't grow too quickly in your tank!

Woody tests my water, he said it was perfect.

Lights are off most of the time, I turn them on about an hour before I try to feed them and then turn off about an hour after feeding. Otherwise they are left in a quiet room with the door shut. I peek in on them once in the morning, but they are always hiding under the rock, which I understand is normal.

If woody is useing those strips to test they are not a very exact accurate way to test your water. Get some salifert tests. Nitrate and phosphate Alk, Cal and Mag is all I usually test for. Try feeding them mysis or rods like someone else suggested.

Jay