Price Mark Up!@#$%^&

Frank

I was in a LFS today and told them about an interesting fish that I had seen on this forumn,(a HTF SpikeFin Goby) and asked them how much they were going for... They told me $65...so I told them I had seen them advertised for $129 on the forumn and this was suppose to be "a deal"!

So.. I asked about another fish, (a clown frog fish) and he said same price... this was posted on the forumn for $200!!! Is this just a LFS mark up or just plain ripping us people off..(scratch)you be the judge?

To me... times are hard on ALL of us and everyone has to make money to survive. I just posted about supporting your LFS but come on...... it's not just business...supporting each other is a two way street not a one way dead end road.(nono)

This post is not meant to disrespect anyone but to open the eyes of "us" consumers on the fourmn....shop around let stores know that you are aware of current prices and don't fall for the stores that are just trying to get rich quickly off uninformed customers. Or do they just think we are stupid and will just pay the "sale" amount with out shopping around? (kneel)

• Like 2

An item is worth only what your willing to pay for it. If you pay $99 or $199 your the one that has to be happy with it. Do your homework. Compare your prices!!! And also ask the LFS how many they have in stock at that price. I'll bet they dont have any.

And if they do, tell me so I can buy some. but chances are they dont!!!!!

"What you are willing to pay for it". What an interesting phrase. The stores I frequent do not use that business mentality. I am aware of some "hot" items they have recently sold to customers that although the customers would have paid an outrageous amount just to own the item....both stores would NOT mark it up intentionally as of course times are tough for everyone and they would like repeat business. Again....it is not just business...supporting each other is a two way street not a one way dead end road. Not a one-time ha ha...I got your money.

In today's economy consumers are looking for good deals and don't want to be taken to the cleaners in the process.

Although the LFS I visited did not have the item in stock I am willing to wait the couple days as it means 100% savings on the price. Can't beat that!

Just a bit confused tho...I thought you had wholesale prices available to you but as the LFS is 100% cheaper than your "sale" price...Do you want the store's information so you can buy some at the lower cost? We all need to help each other in keeping this hobby alive!

• Like 1

Frank,

I understand you frustration and can definatley sympathize. Its all a supply and demand game. If a fish store gets something in that is pretty rare, you can bet that there is probably someone that will pay a pretty descent penny for it. That being said, no store will last long if they are selling things at prices that do not allow for a timely sale. Customers kind of set the price in this regard and fish stores are sort of forced to reduce their prices or find alternative ways of selling their products.

If I don't like a price on something, I just don't buy it. I don't complain about it because I am pretty sure that either someone will come along that thinks the price is right or the store will be forced to reduce the price.

Fish stores take a gamble sometimes on either side of this. Sometimes things are purchased at a pretty heafty price to begin with but the fish store believes that they could make an ok profit on it or even a great profit on it. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. i.e. sometimes the store may make 327% on a coral and sometimes they may make only 51% or maybe fall under the 50% mark on that particular coral.

I have made some "buyer" mistakes that allowed the seller to make a pretty penny. It all eventually becomes a learning experience which then allows me to determine what those killer deals are and when to make a purchase and when not to. Sometimes I will simply buy things that are price considerably high knowing full well what was likely paid for them just because I like the particular piece of coral or fish.

If I find a store continuously higher priced then their respective counterparts I will eventually stop visiting or visit them very infrequently to see if they have become competative. If they don't become competative a great majority of the time they simply just close their doors.

Garrett

• Like 2

In case you didn't get it, this

rofl(popcorn)
was at your post. This is just more of the same from you. Seems like half of your posts are arguments. You said yourself you got help from LFS in getting your business going. These stores helped you out as a customer and a friend probably knowing that it would hurt them but they helped none the less. Like Frank said we are all in tuff times and LFS helping us by saving us a little money is a great thing. You decide to rap and pillage us all with your pricing instead though. If other stores who buy from where you buy from can offer this at half price of yours then Frank is correct in saying that we as the customers are getting ripped.

In case you didn't get it' date=' this was at your post. This is just more of the same from you. Seems like half of your posts are arguments. You said yourself you got help from LFS in getting your business going. These stores helped you out as a customer and a friend probably knowing that it would hurt them but they helped none the less. Like Frank said we are all in tuff times and LFS helping us by saving us a little money is a great thing. You decide to rap and pillage us all with your pricing instead though. If other stores who buy from where you buy from can offer this at half price of yours then Frank is correct in saying that we as the customers are getting ripped.[/quote']

Your talking out your A$$ and havent a clue as to what your saying. I am still a customer of theirs and guess what buddy boy? They are now a customer of mine. I think in my business practice I am more than fair and offer HELLACIOS deals, is that a word? To my customers. I am offering Saturday Duncans for free with a $50 purchase and have seen duncans sell by other people for as much as $50 per head recently. If thats what you call helping each other, more power to you!!!! Until you come into my store and see my facility first hand and inquire pricing from me personally you have no room to belly ache and moan about anything that I sell or do. Go cry a river somewhere else. (nono)

Snowpunk was making a statement toward the general discussion of this thread. It is his opinion and is similar to my own. For you to direct derogatory comments on this thoughts is a bit rude. Let’s stay on topic and keep the post pleasant.

In answer to the question of where to find the fish at affordable prices....

Davy Jones Locker and Upscales both have quoted the lower price for the fish. Still a little confused tho….I was under the assumption all of you LFS have access to the same stock and therefore prices should be somewhat similar. As they are NOT….I wanted to post a general thought for everyone…to “shop around” and compare. Which is why I posted this thread…because they are not even close and we WANT to support LFS….as long as it is beneficial to BOTH parties. We need to keep our hobby alive...

Frankly it is just more jealousy on the behalf of the LFS that is whining to you because so and so is doing so and so. Business must be real bad if all these guys have time to do is biotch and moan constantly. Me personally, Im working on surviving and building a business and personally for those of you that don’t follow the same practice (LFS owners), you’re going to sink and fast. If you think your going to grow by spanking your competitor you better get a reality check. The only reason Im posting this is because I know you all will read it. I could care less if you respond or not. You know im right on this one. Yes, I did sell the frogfish online and the person was extremely happy with it. It wasn’t a person on this board and it was their offer that I accepted, not me asking a price.

Here is a post they left for me on another forum which is easily accessible for your own reading and it was their offer to pay the price not mine, so whay!!!.

Hi,

Would you be willing to sell it for $200 shipped to NY? Please let me know.

Thank you,

???????????

Angels on the sideline,

Puzzled and amused.

Why did Father give these humans free will?

Now they're all confused...

The spikefin goby is still for sale and will go on eBay at "RETAIL" pricing if nobody buys it. I could care less if anyone from the board buys it. Look them up on line and see what they go for. My selling price is $129 “SHIPPED”. Cheaper for a local pick up. If you can show me a lower price for the same fish then do it. Otherwise, well you know!!!!

The free duncan thing is a very nice deal indeed. The timing however struck me as a little odd coming right after Eric posted his for sale. Another post thats timing struck me as odd was when drunkreefer posted about a cool little goby he could get if anyone had any interest in. Then the next day their was a thread of yours with one for sale. I don't know if their is any connection to these but it just strikes me as a little odd...

The free duncan thing is a very nice deal indeed. The timing however struck me as a little odd coming right after Eric posted his for sale. Another post thats timing struck me as odd was when drunkreefer posted about a cool little goby he could get if anyone had any interest in. Then the next day their was a thread of yours with one for sale. I don't know if their is any connection to these but it just strikes me as a little odd...
Seems like a lot of things strike you as odd. PNWMAS is not a place I scour trying to compete with fellow hobbyists or for that matter even other suppliers. But neither here or there, Have you ever noticed how when one burger joint puts something up for sell they all do? Whats your point?DOH!

Your getting off topic and making it personal? If you want to make it personal then say your peace and be done with it. Im getting pretty tired of you trying to bash every comment that I make. You dont have to try and critisize someone for trying to earn a living. If you can show me one valid website that sells this fish cheaper(incl s/h) I will sell it and donate 100% of the proceeds to the charity of your choice. If not, then @#@# me!!!!!!! my price $129 shipped anywhere USA. Thats a fair and reasonable price.

Snowpunk was making a statement toward the general discussion of this thread. It is his opinion and is similar to my own. For you to direct derogatory comments on this thoughts is a bit rude. Let’s stay on topic and keep the post pleasant.

Frank, I totally agree with your thread, but these comments from snowpunk have been aimed toward ocean in a box for too long. i have seen too many of them. his comment is just as much dissing perry as it is about the thread. upmost respect toward you btw.

I have to disagree with the thread somewhat and here is why. Like I said, it's just pure jealousy. Both fish in which Frank is talking about are fish I have either sold or are in the process of selling. So in esscence he is talking about OIAB. The sad part about this whole matter is. Both these fish are fish that the other LFS passed up and are now crying because I bought them and was able to sell them. WE ALL BY FROM THE SAME PLACE. Yes, they know where I bought them, and they know how much I paid for them. Quit your belly aching and worry about your own problems and growing your own business. I am documenting every complaint and every thread. If I continue to have customers that come into my shop and tells me joe blow fish store said this about you, It wont be pretty. Im tired of all this BS. We'll call your place "Perry's fish store" and simply call it expansion 101. You know who you are and you best shut your traps.

Frankly it is just more jealousy on the behalf of the LFS that is whining to you because so and so is doing so and so. Business must be real bad if all these guys have time to do is biotch and moan constantly. Me personally, Im working on surviving and building a business and personally for those of you that don’t follow the same practice (LFS owners), you’re going to sink and fast. If you think your going to grow by spanking your competitor you better get a reality check. The only reason Im posting this is because I know you all will read it. I could care less if you respond or not. You know im right on this one. Yes, I did sell the frogfish online and the person was extremely happy with it. It wasn’t a person on this board and it was their offer that I accepted, not me asking a price.

Here is a post they left for me on another forum which is easily accessible for your own reading and it was their offer to pay the price not mine, so whay!!!.

Hi,

Would you be willing to sell it for $200 shipped to NY? Please let me know.

Thank you,

???????????

Angels on the sideline,

Puzzled and amused.

Why did Father give these humans free will?

Now they're all confused...

The spikefin goby is still for sale and will go on eBay at "RETAIL" pricing if nobody buys it. I could care less if anyone from the board buys it. Look them up on line and see what they go for. My selling price is $129 “SHIPPED”. Cheaper for a local pick up. If you can show me a lower price for the same fish then do it. Otherwise, well you know!!!!

I feel compelled to stand up for myself here, since I am referenced. The wholesale FOB (freight on board) price for this fish, the goby, is $22.00. So after shipping, box charges, and all the other stuff we have to pay to bring a fish in I figure the landed cost of the fish is about $25. So, since I have years of experience in buying and selling perishable commodities, being in the produce industry for many years, I marked the fish up by almost triple. My bad, I would actully sell the fish for $50. I actually posted on here after another member said how cool they were, that I was going to bring some in. They are on order and will be here early next week. I have no intentions of trying to "spank" any one of my competitors.

Personally, I don't care what any other vendor sells their stuff for and I CERTAINLY am not jealous of any other vendor on this or any other site. I am almost offended by that remark. But, I have a thicker skin than that. I want us all to make a living doing what we are doing. Hell, I even have let others tag along on some of my orders to help them get some stuff they wanted. So, I harbor no ill will to any sponsor here. It's all about reputation, and I think that the vendors with integrity will rise above those who have none.

God I hate being PC!!!!!!

• Like 1

Frank' date=' I totally agree with your thread, but these comments from snowpunk have been aimed toward ocean in a box for too long. i have seen too many of them. his comment is just as much dissing perry as it is about the thread. upmost respect toward you btw.[/quote']

your right to a point. I'm probably a little out of line. I sat back on many threads and watched things play out. Maybe I read between the lines too much, maybe I'll be revered as an A-hole on here from now on for it. I just felt it was time some things be pointed out and something be said. I know the value of a good LFS believe me. I purchased 99% of everything I bought from Isaac when he was running seahorse. I am by no means Mr. Moneybags but I try to do my part to help. I am now trying to share the love a little and support many others also now that Isaac isn't running things anymore. however off track this thread did or didn't get(your opinion) I also am still standing right by Frank on this one which is where I feel I was the whole time. :D

I guess I was saying I agree with the right for someone to discuss the issue. I agree with what Garrett said about supply and demand. If someone wants to buy it at x price, then it is a fair price. Rare fish and corals always demand high prices, and so do rare stamps and rare baseball cards.

I dont think that making threats is a good way to keep business. There are a lot of great LFS out there and buying them all out may be hard if you disown some of the locals. I know that the LFS around that area are great, most of them top notch. I have dealt with most, and loved it. Try not to worry about what a customer says about what the LFS said, I am sure you have said some things about other LFS too.