90 gallon build (pic heavy!)

kchapmanjr

So I am a senior in college and haven't had a ton of time or $ to have any reef tanks for the last four years, but about a year ago I bought a 27 gallon cube.... Everyone here knows what happens next... It just wasn't big enough. So the process of looking for a bigger tank began. I am probably tempting fate setting a new tank up as I am graduating soon and don't know where I will end up, but if things go right hopefully I will be able to sign on with a local firm and stay in the area. I found a tank for sale by a fellow PNWMAS member, Jeff (jfish) who had a drilled 90 at a good price back in early August, so I bought it and have been working on it since. I believe (according to Jeff), that it was another members tank before him. Jose I think was his name, but I don't remember his username. While the tank is old school quality, which I was looking for, it needed a ton of cleaning and I'm sure that it was sturdy enough but the stand was an inch and a half shorter than the tank and it did not have any real bracing to speak of (mainly just plywood). I just didn't feel comfortable with a tank putting that much weight on trim alone - especially without sufficient bracing. So I decided to build a stand from scratch instead of redoing the one it came with. It took a lot longer than I originally expected, as well as WAY too many trips to Home Depot, but am quite happy with the results. I have tried to chronicle most of it at intervals along the way but haven't had time to post anything about it until today. I will try to get up to real time as fast as possible. To start it out I will show a pic of my current 27 gallon cube (becoming either a macro-algae/seahorse tank or a nem/clown tank in the very near future), and a before pic of what the 90 looked like when I got it. Hope everyone enjoys!

Current tank I have:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13679[/ATTACH]

I know, it's really cluttered and overstocked, (hence the new tank).

Stand when I got it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13680[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13681[/ATTACH]

So all the weight of the tank sat on the trim around three sides of the stand.

Tank with a light hose-out only:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13682[/ATTACH]

(Man was it dirty!)

Getting stuff ready to start the build:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13683[/ATTACH]

post-9186-141867791492_thumb.jpg

post-9186-141867791495_thumb.jpg

post-9186-141867791498_thumb.jpg

post-9186-141867791502_thumb.jpg

post-9186-141867791504_thumb.jpg

Basic frame without any bracing:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13684[/ATTACH]

I built the frame with 1x4's and 1x1's to cut down on weight and maximize space inside the stand.

The old stand actually came in really handy as a work table for my table saw :) I was even able to use the overflow cutout as the hole for sawdust escape:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13685[/ATTACH]

Stand with full bracing:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13676[/ATTACH]

1/2" plywood top and base glued and screwed:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13678[/ATTACH]

Skinned with 1/4" maple:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13677[/ATTACH]

In the middle of priming the interior with kilz so the enamel I will be painting it will have better adhesion. This thing is strong, but it's still light enough to lift with one hand!

post-9186-141867764504_thumb.jpg

post-9186-141867764507_thumb.jpg

So here is the stand with the outside stained and poly'ed. Turned out pretty well IMO. There was still a lot to be done at this point to the inside though.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13690[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13691[/ATTACH]

Here is a pic of it inside the condo. The girlfriend will be EXTREMELY happy when this build is finished. I have s*** strewn all over the place.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13692[/ATTACH]

On a side note, my rock came in from BRS yesterday!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13693[/ATTACH]

70 lbs of BRS reefsaver and 25 lbs of shelf. Didn't know they would send the shelf in one whole freakin piece! The thing is huge - 17"x16" and it actually weighs in at 33 lbs! Gonna have to split it up a couple of times to get it to work for me. Speaking of that, anyone have any of those acrylic rods floating around?? Asked Jeff at C&C and he's all out... I'm gonna have to find some way to secure this beast.

post-9186-141867764522_thumb.jpg

post-9186-141867764525_thumb.jpg

post-9186-141867764528_thumb.jpg

post-9186-141867764531_thumb.jpg

So apparently I got a little lazy with taking pics through this stage, but here are a couple more - which almost brings us up to date with where the tank is at now.

Tank with silicone stripped and ready for the new momentive black to be put in:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13698[/ATTACH]

I have worked with silicone before, but this momentive stuff is no joke! When it says 5 minutes work time, it really means about 2. Chalk this one up as one of my lessons learned. At least I have good razor blade skills.

Painting the back of the tank in Rustoleum Universal:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13699[/ATTACH]

Plumbed up, waiting on check valves and a couple of other parts:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13700[/ATTACH]

Herbie overflow working like a dream!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13701[/ATTACH]

Simulated every scenario I could think of multiple times - power outages, blocked main stand pipe, back siphoning, etc... Everything worked perfectly, and even better - silently :)

DIY sump.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13703[/ATTACH] Picked up an almost new 20 long from PaulV when I bought his ATO and a couple of euphyllias. If I had known the $1 a gallon sale was going to start so soon I would've waited, because is ended up having my girlfriend stop by petco on her way home last night and grab a 29 gallon, which I will be doing the same with. It will allow for more volume for the refugium.

post-9186-141867764543_thumb.jpg