Clown Feeding Question

racefan

I just got a pair of baby clowns they are about 1" or so.I've been feeding them frozen Mysis shrimp twice a day.I give them a 1/2 a cube in the AM(thawed of coarse)before I go to work & the other 1/2 about 12 hrs later when I get home.I've been feeding twice a day because they only seem to be eating the real small pieces of shrimp.Does this seem to be OK or am I over feeding?

1 cube is a bit much for a bio-cube. Maybe try 1/4 cube twice a day. Then they only get half the amount.

At NR, they say to feed a nano every other day.

How are the nitrates and phosphates doing? Do you see any algae growing? If you keep up with water changes (at least 10% a week), you could be OK. If you start to see nitrates, or phosphates, or you get ANY algae growing, then cut back. Don't wait for it to be a problem to try to do something about it.

dsoz

I have heard that, orignally, Formula 1 was developed for clownfish breeders. YMMV. It also is kinda high in phosphates I believe. So moderation may be advisable. The 1/2 cube per day would easily feed the clowns or even cut back a bit and vary the diet. They get to be fun when they determine sexes.

How are the nitrates and phosphates doing? Do you see any algae growing? If you keep up with water changes (at least 10% a week), you could be OK. If you start to see nitrates, or phosphates, or you get ANY algae growing, then cut back. Don't wait for it to be a problem to try to do something about it.

dsoz

I picked up a Phosphate test kit today & they were 0. Nitrates were at 20.I did a 10% water change & retested for Nitrates & they were still at 20.

Other prams were Amm.=0 Nitrate=0 PH=8.4 Sal=31 SG=1.023(with a hand held refract.) Should I do another water change?

Phosphate levels can be low with a test kit, but still present. When I have a question about phosphate, I take a sample of my water to Joel at Waves (or another fish store). He has a colorimeter, which measures phosphates at a really low level and is accurate. I think it can measure down to the 0.01 ppm level.

dsoz