Requesting help and ideas

C0lin

So this is my current aquarium with African Cichlids. I know it's freshwater, so don't hang me.

PICT0118.jpg

PICT0119.jpg

I set it up about a year ago, and the rock on the bottom used to be all white. Since then, algae has stained it green, and I don't think it will get any better. The tank has an eastern facing window that has the curtain open about half of the time. I think being so close to a window causes a lot of the algae problems.

Here's what I would like to do. I'm thinking about replacing the rock on the bottom with a black sand or gravel. I'm a little worried about the stress it would cause, and any negative impacts biologically on the tank.

I'd also like to have some drift wood/lava rock/river rock and live plants. Would the cichlids or plecostamus eat the plants, and would I be able to go to a local quarry to get the rock? I'm thinking of some flat rock to build little holes for the fish to hide in.

Something like this

DSC01090.jpg

If I was to go down to a river and find some good wood, what could I do to make sure it's not going to harm anything? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I want my fish to be happy little buggers. Thanks in advance, and I love this place already.

ok...this is something I do know. First, yes you can go and get rock from a local landscaping or quarry. I used to get Red Lava Rock from a landscaping place, take masonary bits and drill out holes. You have to rinse them very well though. Make sure there is no dust comming off of them. Second, as for gravel, I used to use crushed coral for my gravel. It kept my PH perfect. Yes, your cichlids will eat the plants, like a treat. As for the wood from local streams.....I would leave that part out. Yes I am sure you can but you would have to make sure there are no toxins or anything else in them. It is rather hard to accomplish due to the fact that it soaks in. You can call me if you wish and I would be glad to help in any way. PM me if interested.

Once I went to the Red Lava Rock, all I got was egg laying and happy fish. If you drill your rocks with specific fish in mind (which is what I did) you will get better results. WARNING it is very messy drilling lava rocks. Might wanna do it outside. I would be glad to help.

I used to buy live plants like once a month. They would last in my tank for about a week or so then I would have to take out what is left. Just get it as a treat. I had quite a few more fish in the tank than what I see in yours though. I had a 80g with about 75 fish. Most small african's with a few south american's in the mix. Managuensees, Texas, Cuban, shovel nose cat, wolf, green terror, peacock bass, and several others. Funny part is the king of my tank, who wasn't the biggest fish, was my frontosa.

What I found is to keep the aggression down with most of my fish (mostly because I had a mix that any LFS would recommend against) I found that having a large amount of cichlids prevented territories from being made. I am sure most would argue that but it is true. If you have too many fish they can't pick territories. With exception to your larger ones. The fish you have that is purple with yellow orange on the top fin (I called him my Bronco fish) was the biggest PITA I had.

Do we have a freshwater forum here at all? What about if you have both, F and SW. If your going to change your tank around , I would add the additional fish Immediately to prevent territorial behavior setting in. With them exploring the new surroundings, they shouldn't go after the "new" arrivals.

Shiny flecks could be mica. Do they come off like sheets of paper if you push at them with a sharp metal object like a pin?

I really don't know a lot about rocks... I could not tell you what kind of rock they are just by looking at a picture. I am more a biology and chemistry guy, not a rock-head geologist. :) Science teachers can't know everything, even though we would like our students to think that we do.

If in doubt, don't use them. Go to a local river and collect some nice river rock, which should be mostly basalt. It would be free. There are several nice places to collect on the Wilamette River. If you can't find one, come up to Oregon City and go to Clackamette Park. Having someone take a few rocks from there would not make a dent in the number of rocks that are there.

dsoz