Water changes and KH, Mg and CA

markdadof2

I usually mix my water change water in a 5 gallon bucket, and decided to do some testing on that recently. What I found is that my salt mix is low on just about every parameter that I test for:

Mg = 990

ca = 380

Kh = 7 to 8

ph about 7.9 to 8.0

I'm currently using Tropic Marin. I have been very careful lately to keep all of these parameters up in the proper range and I have noticed better growth in my tank.

My question is - do you guys / gals add mg, ca etc to your water change water before you do your change, or do you just dose afterwords? I have been doing it after my change but I think in my nano that is too big of a parameter swing.

Thoughts?

Interesting. what was the temp? and how long after you mixed it did you test it? What mix are you using. PH is too low. all the reading will change with a different PH level. What is the reading in the tank water? I have not used that salt but I probably will not with what you posted. for it.

Here are a couple of links

http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

and

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

hope this helps

I keep my tank dialed in pretty closely. As of today:

CA 420

alk 10 - 11

Mg 1420

In the past I have had a heck of a time keeping the water params dailed in due to my water changes (not dosing in my new water). I think for my new 60g cube I will switch salts to something that has better initial params. This water has been mixed up and heated (with a powerhead in it) for about a week.

I think the most important part is that your nitrates in you new water were probably at or near zero. Water changes are nice to help replinish some of those trace elements, but I depend more on my ca reactor for that, and in your case dosing. So in answer To your question I would dose after. There is not going to be that big of a swing unless you are changing more than 50%

I keep my tank dialed in pretty closely. As of today:

CA 420

alk 10 - 11

Mg 1420

In the past I have had a heck of a time keeping the water params dailed in due to my water changes (not dosing in my new water). I think for my new 60g cube I will switch salts to something that has better initial params. This water has been mixed up and heated (with a powerhead in it) for about a week.

That is a healthy difference! Salt change seems in order. What is the tank PH at? Before lights out.

PH before lights out is about 8.2 - 8.3 I have a tough time reading the salifert kit - but it is in that range. My Alk has gone up recently as I intentionally wanted to bring it up...I just went a bit far (I liike it at about 10).

I'm thinking the ELOS kits may be better next time I need to purchase!

I have always thought that mixing water was the perfect time to add supplements. You can obviously get your make-up water to match your tank params. before adding it to your tank. I think this is a good idea as we all are trying to make our systems as stable as possible.

Plus after doing it a few times with the same salt and with using the same process. You will find out how much of each supplement you need to add. And putting it into your make up water it is mixed throughly.

An added bonus is it is cheaper to dose 5-10 gallons then it is to dose your 80 gallon system. Along with no overdoses either.