Need lighting advice for my cube

darrellw

If you've seen my build thread, you will know that I'm putting together a custom made glass cube. I was planning to use a 14" Solaris I5. I love the light, BUT the combination of the power supply fans and the fans in the fixture is just too loud. So I'm reconsidering my plan.

First question, for a tank that is 17" x 17" x 18" deep, should I go with 150 or 250 watts of MH?

I'm looking at the Aqua Medic Ocean Light, or the "Fish Need It" knock-off. Do either of these have fans in the fixture or the ballast? I'm also considering the Hamilton Reefstar, which I can order with LED moonlights, but the pendant is much bigger, so I will probably refit one of the others with a couple of LEDs.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Darrell

I would say that more is always better. I have a tank that I am putting up soon that is 20x24x17.5 and I am going to be using a 150mh. From what I hear and have gotten in response from this site, it should do just fine. But as I said earlier, I would imagine more is always better, course there is the whole "budget" factor to consider.